Vitesse bonnet catch comes loose when driving?

bfashbolt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, many thanks for your advice. Due to the fact that my Vitesse came with a bootfull of spares I had sorted them out to the best of my knowledge and in the bag I marked "rubber bushes and hoses" there they were - two used but serviceable bonnet cones! Amazingly they are the original ones as the nuts had body matched paint on them! These are on now and bonnet catch popping situation much improved, holding firm on one side, slight adjustment on one side needed I think. Will order a pair of replacements from TSSC shop though for the future.

37 minutes ago, johny said:

Good news! They do seem to be 'service' items though and start deforming quite quickly so I'm trying to think of some way to make/repair them🤓

I have often pondered this. There are, or were, heavy duty replacements, but they felt too rad. Some dreadful ones with no bonded washer on the base of the cone as well....

I wondered about a polyurethane cone, and mount that on a mini rubber bobbin mount. The idea being the cone would be robust, but the rubber absorb vibration . Never got round to it as I am still slowly working through my supply (I keep finding them in my garage. I must have bought a pair at every show I went to))

On 19/10/2019 at 15:17, dougbgt6 said:

My passenger side catch popped open, unnoticed. As I put the car in the garage the catch ripped open the front of a speaker cabinet and got bent to a jaunty 45 degree angle :angry: How I wished I'd had catch locks.

Doug

Doug, find a mirror - off an old bathroom cabinet or something - and hang it on the end wall of your garage so you can see the far side as you park. My garage is quite narrow but I can position the Spit right up to the opposite wall with total confidence.

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, clive said:

I have often pondered this. There are, or were, heavy duty replacements, but they felt too rad. Some dreadful ones with no bonded washer on the base of the cone as well....

I wondered about a polyurethane cone, and mount that on a mini rubber bobbin mount. The idea being the cone would be robust, but the rubber absorb vibration . Never got round to it as I am still slowly working through my supply (I keep finding them in my garage. I must have bought a pair at every show I went to))

I sometimes see rubber cones for other purposes like suspension bump stops and wonder if they would fit and be more robust....