Unleaded conversion Mk1 2L Vitesse

68vitesse

Hello Paul,

Unfortunately I don't have a recommendation for you, but just wondered what has made you decide to get the head upgraded? With the mileage that I am likely to drive in an average year in my car I have decided to retain the standard head and add the appropriate petrol additive to 97 octane. As I've just bought a '68 2 Litre Mk1 Vitesse myself this whole question is of particular interest. Obviously if the head needs work anyway then it presents the most convenient opportunity to kill multiple birds with a single projectile...…….so was this your situation?

Ian 

• Like 1

Number four cylinder about twenty pounds down on rest with a compression test, oil in cylinder made no difference so assumed valves. Engine very good on oil and no water loss, gave up using additives years ago but use super unleaded do several thousand a year with little to no need on tappet adjustment.

Have spare heads so was just thinking might get one converted although engine run fine.

Congratulations on an excellent choice of triumph.

Regards

Paul

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

The is always Scolar on the A140.

The Mk1 2 litre engine does seem tehe most vulnerable to VSR, though still rare. 

I have had some head repairs and unleaded conversion done there.

Reasonable distance from Norwich, thanks for the suggestion.

Regards

Paul

On 21/12/2019 at 12:00, 68vitesse said:

Wondering if anyone had a recommendation for this work in the Norfolk/Suffolk area.

Many thanks

Paul

Try Peterborough Cylinder Heads. They did a great job of mine and let me order the inserts & valves from Paddocks for them to fit. They do work for practical classics as well

07512 978387

ivor searle do all the club engines

had a day there  ,,,impressive place     its not recondition ........its remanufacture  

and at risk of repeating  there is so much lead memory in the head casting you really  dont need any addative for the mileages we cover 

unless you  re cut the seats .

Pete