intermittent VW Eos battery drain mystery (solved)

Unkel Kunkel

It’s a lovely car to drive with a startling performance,but for the first two years  of ownership it  was the most infuriating , troublesome car I have ever owned.

Faults sorted, (I hope) these last three years it has been exemplary.

Modern car technology has  a formula -   “2FC /2 “

-Too f....ing clever by half.

odd how certain marques have a perceived quality that isnt the real world  ,    just see whats parked up on the motorway   

had to buy a genuine VW  exchange geared starter for a job and 3 days use the pinion dropped off  locked the engine up  , the rust inside obviously rescued from titanic

truly appalling and expensive   they are as bad or as good as all the others ,  certainly not above the bar.

Pete

Known problem -  VW have a recall out for the fuel pump control module.  But I only find that after you tell us what you found. 

Presumably, only the original buyer gets a recall notice, and doent / can't pass it on.    But on moderns, always worth doing a Google to see if there is a recall for anything on your car.

John

36 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Known problem -  VW have a recall out for the fuel pump control module.  But I only find that after you tell us what you found. 

Presumably, only the original buyer gets a recall notice, and doent / can't pass it on.    But on moderns, always worth doing a Google to see if there is a recall for anything on your car.

John

You are absolutely right.

The problem was, John that it I knew something was draining it, but only sometimes  - when I was confronted with a  battery as dead as the proverbial.

Recharged and started up it would be absolutely fine for weeks/ months with absolutely nothing amiss  in between.

The recalls seemed to related to failure - i.e. the pump just stopping  which  didn’t seem apply to my situation, though with the clarity of hindsight, there were  a few mentions of failure and battery drain and some mentions on “VW forum”...

Meanwhile, all sorts of other things were considered.

That night was the first inkling of what might be happening -that it might be it down to the pump not switching off sometimes.

I slept well that night.

My oracle  - U-tube, provided  me with the next answers - and Ebay a new module.

Early on, I even replaced a perfectly good battery ...Grrh.

3 years... Pure torture for a motoring enthusiast. Seeing that you enjoy pain you might as well tell the wife she was right :P

One thing I learned to do over the years of futzing with modern junk is checking the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) whether you already own the vehicle or are thinking about buying it. They're time, money and lifesavers for sure and as far as I know are readily available on the interwebs for most vehicles.