Plastic gearbox tunnel

griffipaul

Having come to the conclusion from earlier posts that it is the tunnel that is the problem and not my attempt at fitting it I have decided to enlarge the hole at the back and cover the enlarged hole with a piece of aluminium plate I found with the right size hole in it.

Haven't finished it yet so won't post a picture until I have.

I haven't had to do anything with the mounting holes.. They seem to line up ok.

I need a new gaiter as well which i have ordered.

The next problem is , again from previous posts, that the general opinion seems to be that the lip that goes all round the edge of the tunnel needs to be removed. I have already fixed the sealing strip in place. So if I now try and cut the lip off I am going to make a mess of the sealing strip. To buy a new strip from the shop is £35 and includes all the fixings as well. So I have ordered a thin sealing strip off ebay and will see if I can use the 2 together without removing the lip.

On 09/04/2020 at 21:50, 1481082 said:

But if this part, supposedly for a Vitesse doesn't fit shouldn't the manufacturer be told?

I read an article in this month's Courier about that 🙂 

We need to find out why it doesn't fit, and what the mistake is... so that we can advise on a solution.

Similarly, why are you cutting the lip off? I've read back over various posts but can't find the rationale. How are you going to attach it to the car?

Hello.

My Vitesse was upgraded to OD by the PO and he had to adapt the OE tunnel of which I have modified again since.

There seems to be a reoccurring pattern regarding the requirement to adjust the g/stick hole.

Might this have anything to do with the tunnel being based on historic non-OD models or a different gear remote housing, whereby that information is being supplied to the manufacturer and hence the current issue with these plastic tunnels ??

Regards.

Richard.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

We need to find out why it doesn't fit, and what the mistake is... so that we can advise on a solution.

Similarly, why are you cutting the lip off? I've read back over various posts but can't find the rationale. How are you going to attach it to the car?

There are lots of variables involved and without a clear point of known reference points it is difficult to resolve on the forum. You would need to try an original cover as a point of reference to start with and look are a standard overdrive car. The other point is how many have experienced the same problems.

However, the main  point to consider is that there is a difference between the GT6 cover and the Vitesse cover. The Vitesse part number is 708506. The GT6 is 709862. This is due to the different shape of the bulkhead. Is it the right cover for the car involved.

Dave

1 hour ago, 1481082 said:

image.png.8092b0f880cde59a0af13336b1a0c071.png

I agree. How do we go about that?

image.png.1c8b3d108e62a99780377bc049b0dbc8.png

I must have read about this in other posts.

Not the whole lip. Just the very edge which seems to stop the seal being squeezed when tightening the screws

image.png.d73a52236c8fe5effc9d7e12ed6b677f.png

If only one person has found a problem, it's maybe just their car, or they've been sent the incorrect item. If others are finding the same problem, we need to identify why they fit some cars, and not others - what's the difference?

Gotcha now with the lip - none of mine have that which is why it appeared strange - thanks for clearing it up.

Just saw your post, Dave, after I'd replied to that earlier post; are suppliers trying to sell a one-size-fits-all cover, then finding it doesn't? It's years since I bought one of those, so must check my stock and post a few photos, so that we can identify how they differ.

9 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

IJust saw your post, Dave, after I'd replied to that earlier post; are suppliers trying to sell a one-size-fits-all cover, then finding it doesn't? It's years since I bought one of those, so must check my stock and post a few photos, so that we can identify how they differ.

I suspect you may be right re the one size fits all. If yes from my memory there will some fitting problems.

The last one I bought had no gear-leaver hole. You had to cut it out yourself!

Dave

9 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

The Suppliers are giving the GT6 part number for the Vitesse as well as the GT6. So yes it looks like one size fits all. The one size will be due to costs of having two types made and held in stock I guess. 

Dave 

If that is the case Dave, might it actually be better not to have the hole pre-cut and let owners do that to match the requirement of their car ??

I think cutting afresh, is better than having to make something to backtrack an incorrect pre-cut hole.

Regards.

Richard.

1 minute ago, classiclife said:

If that is the case Dave, might it actually be better not to have the hole pre-cut and let owners do that to match the requirement of their car ??

I think cutting afresh, is better than having to make something to backtrack an incorrect pre-cut hole.

Regards.

Richard.

If you have an intact original cover as a point of reference then I would say yes. If you haven't then it's easier to modify the GT6 type. 

An approach can be made to the Suppliers through the club by the reg sec to see what response we get.

Though I suspect they are being made with the hole for the US GT6 market, this may conflicted with the UK Vitesse, requirement, market.

Dave

As I started this thread , I should clarify a few points that have arisen in the ongoing discussion.

As initially fitted with gear lever  in middle of hole , there was a gap of approx 1 inch between cover and bulkhead without seal fitted. 

I did not use club supplied seal as I had a full complement of fittings and club kit is expensive if you just need seal . I got seal from Paddocks. 

Flange height on cover exceeded seal height so was trimmed down.

Following my initial findings I did discuss with Martyn in club shop , I prefer to not disclose the detail of that discussion.

However With mods as discussed the cover does a good job.

Interestingly I did not pick up the subtleties of the gt6 v vitesse part number differences, only a company like triumph would make them different in the first place anyway.

Onwards and upwards.