Plastic gearbox tunnel

griffipaul

Had a club supplied ( Moss ? ) Poly tunnel a while now and in process of fitting after g/box rebuild and fitting o/d on mk2 Vitesse

Either the fit is rubbish or I have the wrong part , hole for gerlever is wrong see photos and cover still needs to go forward 25 mm approx for mntg holes to line up and front face be somewhat near bulkhead.

I have already butchered it to remove excessive flange depth on bottom and front faces.

It is marked as vit/ gt6 but is it herald / spit part.

Is the difference just the hole position or is the moulding different in that area.

By buying through club I was trying to avoid these  issues as well as supporting the club.

20200307_132654.thumb.jpg.bdd2c143c3cf142f334e1296a3fc3f79.jpg20200307_132406.thumb.jpg.7e4908f9cc20f54185164afd1b64a752.jpg

The cover will space back with a sealing gasket, originally rubber, between the cover and the bodywork, The hole in the cover looks to be in the correct position for a Vitesse. Having said that the gear-leaver looks too far back. Do you have a standard gearbox or is the engine mounted back?

Dave

I instinctively wanted agree with Dave, the hole looks right but your gear lever looks further back than I'd expect, except that I've just been out to look at my Vitesse and I think my gear lever is in the same place relative to the floor pans.

which side of the suspn turret is the engine mount bolted ,  needs to be in front not behind   i think 

its a std 3 rail and OD so the remote position is as std..  Doug has just fitted one without problems apart from the flange overhang you mention 

where's Doug ????

Pete

The engine mount position is interesting . I did replace them about a year ago , could have got it wrong. They could also have flexed backwards during the gearbox removal. Will check them tomorow and also offer up the original cardboard cover to see what the alignment is like.

Should have explained that after I removed g/b with engine jacked . The car was too far back by a smidgen in garage and I could not shut door so I nudged car forward . Perhaps engine stayed put , effectively moving it  backwards . I will commence investigation shortly.

19 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

where's Doug ????

Doing a spot of panic buying at Waitrose!

I think it's the right tunnel, the Spitfire one is a very different shape, not so wide and wouldn't fit.

I had the same problem with excessive flange, but got away with doubling up the sealing gasket and the GT6 "H" piece still fitted. There is also a flange on the front to the bulkhead so the tunnel will be a little further back!

I don't see the captive nuts through the holes in the tunnel base, you may have to squeeze it in to find them. On mine the holes were well out and I had to drill new. I found the tunnel robust enough, a great improvement on the old cardboard thing, but not perfect and needed fettling. However 25mm adrift is a lot! I think Pete and Dave may be right.

I lined the inside of the tunnel with SlientCoat sound and heat deadening which has worked very well.

Doug

• Like 1

,Ok Initial investigation.

Engine mounts were in right place in front of turret. So alls ok there

Old cover fits ok see photo.

Laid out old and new on drive usind bricklines as datums.

Both tunnels on brickline with front mntg holes lined up , seems to put front of tunnels in line.

Oil cans on another brickline inline.

Lever hole dimension differ as indicated on photos.

Lever hole is not in the right position  by my reckoning difference is circa 20 mm

20200308_120546.thumb.jpg.f8c33becf6d9debab042a26d9d3ac005.jpg20200308_122743.thumb.jpg.07f6a0bb6852ca42c7d32eec846b82a9.jpg20200308_122914.thumb.jpg.e8c2a3cbe8847631c4931d5f08a3bbb3.jpg20200308_122933.thumb.jpg.6cada1dc2d05afcb6ce38ce31458ad97.jpg

Yes have measurement  from front face to start of lever hole. Hard to measure on old one as its all a bit floppy as comparison . But clear that 20 mm is the difference.

Will talk it through with Martyn tomorrow. 

Trying to remember when I bought it , should have the receipt somewhere. 

Picked it up at Stoneleigh last year.

Pete have you been having typing lessons from Yoda ????

will discuss with Martyn tomorrow and as on option ,  all else failing you said I think  I could fashion a new hole in the required position .

• 1 month later...

I had/have exactly the same problem.  I have a 1971 2 litre Vitesse. I bought a tunnel from the shop about 2 years ago. Probably didn't do anything with it for a while then when I came to fit it the hole for the gear lever is almost exactly the same as shown in one of the photos. i.e. you can't push the tunnel as far forward as it needs to go to meet the bulkhead because the rear of the gear lever hole stops it. But it needs to go further forward for the fixing holes to line up.  I then tried to modify it by enlarging the hole. Made a pigs ear out of that and then the hole is too big for the rubber gaiter. But having done that didn't think I could send it back.  So have put up with a real bodge job and would like to finish it properly but don't want to buy another tunnel and find it is exactly the same. Has there been a resolution of this problem?

The four holes in the Moss version look to be for an additional plate to which the rubber surround is then fitted, as in this photo - but where you get one from, or who supplies any, is so far beyond me. It appears you can have a certain amount of leeway in cutting the tunnel to suit your own car - which you shouldn't really have to to - then covering it up with a plate and seal, but whether you buy one or make one is uncertain.

DSCN7140.JPG.5a2016a25da9011930a2a80a91a11728.JPG

14 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The four holes in the Moss version look to be for an additional plate to which the rubber surround is then fitted, as in this photo - but where you get one from, or who supplies any, is so far beyond me. It appears you can have a certain amount of leeway in cutting the tunnel to suit your own car - which you shouldn't really have to to - then covering it up with a plate and seal, but whether you buy one or make one is uncertain.

DSCN7140.JPG.5a2016a25da9011930a2a80a91a11728.JPG

i've got one of those plates, it may have been a later model spit but it means you can fit a rubber gaiter instead of the one pictured.

p.s. got mine off the bay

paul

I was searching the Net for the reason for the differences and found two different models, both supposedly for the GT6. Left hand one is Moss, right hand is Rimmers.

moss.jpeg.879f4a395f38b4fc17cc23a8d1c28435.jpeg rimmer.jpeg.f44dc00376cf8943231b6aeaa7a658f6.jpeg

Notice how the hole is in  a different place - to the rear in the Moss version and to the front in the Rimmers version? Both can't be right... you can see that the holes for the H-frame are roughly the same position on the side, so why the expected difference in gearlever position?

39 minutes ago, johny said:

Surely the second one is for a herald?

I had wondered if that was the case, but the starter bulge in both is to the right (the starter is on the left in Heralds, and on the opposite side in the GT6), so it made me wonder why there was a difference on the top face. Maybe just a trick of the photograph?

630211413_ScreenShot2020-04-09at18_56_08.jpg.305ef1ee5761e92468ec25997bf28712.jpg