Electric fab

Ian Hughes

I bought mine back about 2001, the Club aluminium versions, and they've performed faultlessly ever since; in fact I've just replaced them after more engine oil-seal work and there's no damage through cracks or other passage of time. The original cardboard versions were long gone. I had to 'modify' them slightly, once to make room for an alternator, which hangs lower than the dynamo, and again for oil-cooler pipes; you can still see the 'arch' I had to cut for the pipes, just below and left of the alternator. Definitely good value items!

cowls.jpg.a70d8eec23bb3bb22f93526032441b07.jpg

My alternator was OK, but on that side I had to mess around with the bulk head end and the two retaining bolts to make it fit. Your cowl appears to have a "rounded" bend, mine is a sharp edge, the cause of the fracture problem I think. On the other side the same bulk head fixing problem and I had to cut out an inch strip to accommodate the air filter box. Then as that had taken away the rigidity a support piece inside to beef it up, and a piece of rubber on the air box cut out, as you've done under the alternator.

Mine is black, much prettier than yours. :)

Doug  

18 hours ago, Ian Hughes said:

Not sure if this has been asked before, I am relatively new so bear with me. 

I have a kenlow fan, in addition to the engine fan on my GT6. I had a leak in my radiator and have taken it out to replace it. I looked at the fan and I reckon it covers at least 60% of the surface of the radiator.

My question is, if I have to run the electric fan to cool my engine, am I simply having to cool it because the fan body is restricting flow over the radiator and not allowing sufficient airflow to flow over the radiator to cool the coolant? I was also surprised at the amount of debris, grass, leaves etc that I found jammed behind the body. Not much you could do about it unless you removed the radiator to access it.

Any thoughts on the subject? 

Hi Ian, your question sounds as if youre talking about cooling while driving along and no fan mechanical or electric should make much difference at normal driving speeds. A fan motor mounted in front of the radiator will give a blocking effect when driving along but it cant be much compared to the bonnet front grill or number plate.

If your problem was to be, as it is in most cases, overheating in traffic then thats not due to airflow obstruction from any source and my personal opinion is that a good electric fan can move more air through the radiator than a mechanical one. Note however that the problem can be due to poor heat transfer on the water side of the system so the increased airflow is just masking the issue.

On my Vit Mk1 I couldnt see much benefit from having both mechanical and electric fans so have successfully removed the original item.

• Like 1

As johny says, check the condition of the cooling system first.

My GT6 has the original plastic fan, no cowls, and no problem with overheating at all.

My Vitesse has an electric (Kenlowe) fan only and no problem with overheating since I fixed all the coolant leaks.