GT6 Carbs leaking fuel

Alex Lowe

Hi All

Went to start the GT6 today and noticed a small puddle at the front of the car turns out it was coming from the underside of the left carb. I cant work out why or where its coming from as doesnt seem to be coming from the gasket at the top of the bowl. my only conclusion is it could be the from the yellow disk at the bottom of the carb (sorry im not sure that this part is called).

Any insight into why and where it could be coming from would be amazing

There is a seal around the yellow plug which can perish. I switch the bottom of the carb to a bowl without without a plug to over come this problem. I ordered more of the these bowls than I needed by mistake so could offer you two for a small charge.

I did post an article on the forum about this modification some time ago, detailing how to do it and screws required.

Graham

25 minutes ago, Graham C said:

There is a seal around the yellow plug which can perish. I switch the bottom of the carb to a bowl without without a plug to over come this problem. I ordered more of the these bowls than I needed by mistake so could offer you two for a small charge.

I did post an article on the forum about this modification some time ago, detailing how to do it and screws required.

Graham

Hi Graham how much would want for these and would you be able to link the thread that you did?

stromberg CDSE and similar spec carbs have a plug and 0 ring to seal off the older bottom jet adjuster which is not used now.

yours has needles adjusted from down the dash pot with an  long hex key  if you remove the air piston the delrin washer on the base of the jet should be level with the bottom of the air piston

you will also have temperature compensators on the side ,small plastic capped alloy hsg. with two screws ,they also needs to be  closed at normal operating .  simple cure is screw the small nut under the plastic cover to lock the plunger shut  you cant adjust mixtures if its open all the time 

the unit has two sealing 0 rings one to seal down its bore and one one the outer case ,

this may all sound a bore but  really they are best blocked .closed or even turn the manifold to  carb gasket upside down to close the bleed port off for good 

its only a screwdriver and pliers job when its raining or on lockdown  

tip if you do remove the carb top and the rubber flimsy diaphragm is  all wrinkled and baggy  wash it in petrol it will soon revert to proper size 

use engine oi in your dashpots 

Pete

Alex, 

Managed to find a post from Sept 2017 on the Club Triumph site. I stated I needed 8 - 32 x 1 1/4 unc screws. These ended cutting down.

I got cap head screws from an engineering supplier, as the the original screws were too short.

You will also need new gaskets.

I will PM a cost.

I have two pairs left if anyone else are interested.

Graham

• 1 month later...