Adrian Saunders

All, I’m currently working from home and as such, I can offer a 3D CAD design resource. Obviously, it’s outside of my working hours of 0730 to 1730, but I’m happy to model up and produce drawings of anything you care to fling my way. Not just machined parts either, sheet metal parts are easy, I can produce a flat pattern that a laser cutter will cut from and fabricator will bend to. Basic stress analysis can be done, accurate component weights, even three dimensional pipe/tube bending, all easy and to be honest, good fun. Go on, challenge me, let’s see what we can do. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Adrian Saunders said:

All, I’m currently working from home and as such, I can offer a 3D CAD design resource. Obviously, it’s outside of my working hours of 0730 to 1730, but I’m happy to model up and produce drawings of anything you care to fling my way. Not just machined parts either, sheet metal parts are easy, I can produce a flat pattern that a laser cutter will cut from and fabricator will bend to. Basic stress analysis can be done, accurate component weights, even three dimensional pipe/tube bending, all easy and to be honest, good fun. Go on, challenge me, let’s see what we can do. 

Don't tempt me.... I was just this minute looking at a metal surround for Herald dashboard courtesy lights and wondering if the in-laws could cut a few in their engineering works. Some days when I visit I just stand and stare at their cutting machines cutting gearwheels or other parts of industrial machinery. Reckon something like this would be easy? One slight angle towards the front which you may be able to make out from the photo.

DSCF8506.jpg.cbed25ce61851155ada098705c35cfda.jpg

10 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Don't tempt me.... I was just this minute looking at a metal surround for Herald dashboard courtesy lights and wondering if the in-laws could cut a few in their engineering works. Some days when I visit I just stand and stare at their cutting machines cutting gearwheels or other parts of industrial machinery. Reckon something like this would be easy? One slight angle towards the front which you may be able to make out from the photo.

DSCF8506.jpg.cbed25ce61851155ada098705c35cfda.jpg

Looks easy Colin. Easiest is to send me it and I’ll model & draw it. Is it just a flat, stamped blank? I can see angles, but I can reverse engineer that. Perfect candidate for a 3D print to check the fit too. 

12 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Hi Adrian, I don't have such a need at the moment - I just noticed you are local to me - and my Inlaws are from Chelmsley

Doh! My claim to fame was having the only GT6 in B37. Please don’t tell me you have one. Or, are you the owner of a dark Herald? I saw it once in Asda’s car park. 

17 hours ago, Adrian Saunders said:

Looks easy Colin. Easiest is to send me it and I’ll model & draw it. Is it just a flat, stamped blank? I can see angles, but I can reverse engineer that. Perfect candidate for a 3D print to check the fit too. 

Ok, will message you asap. Almost flat but there's one slight bend - you can make out the line of it at the 8 0'clock position. If the blanks can be cut then putting a bend in it should be wee buns.

12 hours ago, Bordfunker said:

Colin, no need!

I’ve already been busy with the CAD.

Cardboard Aided Design that is!

RsXcom.jpg

Based this on your photo to make one in steel sheet at the weekend.

Karl

Lol I love it! That just happened to be the first part I had in my hands when Adrian posted and I was thinking: surely I should have more of these? 

I assume you based the size on your own light unit?

Colin, I scaled your image on my iPad so that mounting holes aligned with the holes in my light unit, then took a tracing, before transferring it to card.

All very technical!

I now just need to work out the drilling centres for radiused corners and the switch cut out, then I’ll mark up a piece of sheet steel and cut it out.

Karl

Brilliant work, young man. The photo was more or less straight-on, but I had to angle it slightly to avoid reflections from the overhead lights.

I'll still send the original across to Adrian, it may be handy to have the plans for a part like this on the record, but I'll be very interested in seeing your handiwork. 

20 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Brilliant work, young man. The photo was more or less straight-on, but I had to angle it slightly to avoid reflections from the overhead lights.

I'll still send the original across to Adrian, it may be handy to have the plans for a part like this on the record, but I'll be very interested in seeing your handiwork. 

Colin, do you need my address? 

• 2 weeks later...

Those are two different light fittings; early and late, one per car. They fit two different lights; photos below. The switch fits into the taller cutout, between your finger and thumb, and the bulb along the horizontal part. I don't have any others to show you an assembled unit but here are the two different light units they fit to:

242743619_ScreenShot2020-05-10at10_41_57.jpg.49e52492eabea2a9018a489e5a383431.jpg  613155457_ScreenShot2020-05-10at10_42_13.jpg.b60e075183d16629cfc962762361ad17.jpg

800062356_ScreenShot2020-05-10at10_42_04.jpg.4c7efae15bd00aa5a1c8442579caa1b8.jpg 1338231579_ScreenShot2020-05-10at10_42_20.jpg.ce79e105abdfcb13c8f454e3595ec06e.jpg

Does that make sense?

3 hours ago, Bordfunker said:

Adrian, that looks excellent.

I ended up going the old skool route with sheet steel.

hKWDgg.jpg

Karl

Karl, an excellent result for you too. It’s fine and also cheaper to just go and do it and it will of course fit. If anyone wants knock out a quantity of the plates though, the CAD solution wins as the go straight to a laser cutter and knock ‘em out by the however many. Also, my CAD work is free to a good home. What did you paint yours with? 

17 hours ago, Adrian Saunders said:

Colin, pdf attached. Would you print this off at 1:1, cut it out and try it out on the light please. For whatever IT reason I can’t print it 1:1! I have checked the part against the image on the screen and it’s very close. 

Herald Internal Light Base-Late-1-2020_05_10.pdf

Morning Adrian - this is the later light unit (the black one?) and as such seems to line up very well, certainly the holes for the mounting pegs are in line when I placed the light strip over the drawing.

It's interesting that I never noticed that on the actual light unit the holes are not matched; the one furthest from the switch is central and the other end is much closer to the edge, so that the light angles out from the dashboard. 

Adrian I was discussing this with my eldest son over the weekend as he is a graphic designer by trade, and frequently has items laser cut as he has a sideline in bespoke keyboards, so was challenging my old skool approach.

Making mine was fairly straight forward, but still entailed several hours work, so would definitely have bought one if available, particularly given that this will sit under the top of the dash where most people will never see it.

Karl

Colin, I sent an .stl file of your part to one of our chaps this morning and he’s 3D printed your part. Just so happens that I’m in work tomorrow so I’ll collect it and check it against your original. If it’s ok I’ll do the same modelling and a print of the other base plate. I’ll send the prints to you with your originals. The prints won’t have the bend in as our printer isn’t brilliant and it would affect the quality. However, after a score with a Stanley knife it’ll bend ok. The CAD models and the drawings will have the bend in and the drawing will also show the bend details. The .dxf file for laser cutting will be a flat pattern (no bend). Please check with your “engineer-in-laws” if a .dxf file is ok. If not, tell me what they need. 

F66079FD-0FB7-475B-90AA-4CF5D706B8FC.jpeg

That's excellent! Looking forward to see how it ends up, if they can find the time to remake me one (at least....)

I dropped the father-in-law's groceries off on Friday and sneakily left him a couple of small Herald parts, in case they're bored or short of jobs... so will have to build up the brownie points a bit!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2020 at 22:00, Adrian Saunders said:

Please check with your “engineer-in-laws” if a .dxf file is ok. If not, tell me what they need. 

Sorry for the delay Adrian, finally got word from them - the .dxf file is fine for 2D cutting; I didn't question any further as they're up to their eyes and I was collecting a collection of freebie parts that they'd made for my Herald, and didn't want to stretch relationships by hinting there may be more...