No spark

Kiajon

Sorry, started to say that in an edit. It should be similar to the one on the condenser but, I think, not quite identical. The edges have some shape and you want the crimped bits not to clash. However, short of buying a correct new wire, you can probably get away with any eyelet of the right internal diameter.

Just now, Kiajon said:

So it should be attached somewhere else, not to the place where the points and condenser are joined? 

No, what I'm saying is that on my spare points and the spare points in the dizzy I have the points, condensor and black wire to the coil are all effectively 1 part.

See picture here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1888132959?iid=310262031938&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=310262031938&targetid=878161781224&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046671&poi=&campaignid=9437867654&mkgroupid=94751713814&rlsatarget=pla-878161781224&abcId=1139366&merchantid=7408344&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7tWMn56z6QIVT-3tCh2TSAnQEAQYAiABEgLrQvD_BwE

They are all 1, with crimped joints - so I'm not sure why your new points didn't come with the black wire already attached?

I've seen both styles. The "all-in-one" is probably a late version to reduce production costs, while increasing repair costs because it forces you to replace everything at once, although that's often not a bad idea. The earlier distributors (certainly all 25D types but some 45D too) had the separate bits with connectors.

Brilliant ,   some service clues if you dont have any   ???

gearbox and diff  EP  90 GL4  avoid GL5  (80/90 is more available ) some prefer a EP140 in the diff)

brake fluid  DOT4

front trunions  EP90

steering rack and rear trunion bearings / propshaft and all UJ    multi LM  grease 

coolant glycol (blue) antifreeze at up to 50%

dashpots on carbs  engine oil 

glove box   wine gums and a hip flask of ????

work shop reprint manual from club shop or anywhere 

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the service advice. The whole gear change seems alot smoother since I changed the gearbox oil. The old stuff looked grim and smelt horrible. Then again it had sat doing nothing for 15 years! I'd look grim and smell terrible if I'd sat doing nothing for 15 years. 8 weeks lock down has taken its toll! 

• Like 1