Herald 13/60 crankshaft pulley

natty

I'm pretty sure I use a 36mm socket and an impact wrench, it's by far the easiest way. You won't do it with a spanner, maybe a long breaker bar.

If you are not using an impact wrench, then hopefully the engine is still in the car as the amount of leverage needed to loosen is normally substantial!

With the engine out you need to support it and stop it turning as your trying to undo.

Good luck....

The crankshaft pulley nut size depends on whether the engine has a small journal crankshaft or a large journal crankshaft.

Small journal crank - I think is 1, 5/16"

Large journal crank - definitely 1, 13/16" - which is 46mm near as dammit.

Far be it from me to question the wisdom of "guru Pete", but I was always taught to put the car in reverse gear, as that is the lowest ratio in the box and easier to push, or is that incorrect? I do mine by just pushing on the front wheel, back and to, until the required valve is fully closed, and then adjust it following the rule of nine?

Regards

Steve C

Why take the plugs out when you can just put it in gear.

I like the car to stay in one place when Im working on it, and turning the engine over by hand with the plugs in is actually fairly easy - even with good compression.  It's a bit harder on the 6cyl engine, but can still be done.

Kevin,

I have 6 cylinders and I can tell you, at my time of life, it can't be done!   :wub:  I also like the car to stay in one place when I'm working on it, particularly when it's on the jack!   :o  But pushing it back and forth is by far the easiest option when setting tappets.

Hm !! no guru, but top gear it has to be , the  least effort ,  if you do it with the valves rocking on the opposing cyl you only need to turn the engine one revolution

and set both inlet and exhaust at the same time for the same cylinder .....rather than the rule of 9 or 13

I cant get to grips with the pulley ,  kevin has the grip of of a vice ......I just get the vice 

pete