Rear Axel Issue

Martie

Hi everyone 

Its been almost a year since I’ve managed to make any progress. I’m having trouble getting the hub to sit on the outer drive shaft. It seems so tight going through the outer bearing, is this normal? Is it a case of brute force to get it the last 3-4mm I’ve attached a picture. If anyone can provide any advice I’d be really grateful. 

thank you 

E906ED52-3415-4113-B550-5932E374ED2B.jpeg

Hi Pete, I’ve checked the cross sectional diagram in the manual and it looks like the spinal doesn’t finish flush with the hub do you know if it’s possible where it’s sat now is actually as far on as it goes? 

thanks 

17 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

on Gully's it was damage inside the splines that caused hard  to remove and hard to refit,  , a spare hub went on with fingers only 

Pete

Pete, actually it was my hub that had the damaged splines and Gully kindly supplied the spare.  If you remember you also had to skim a few thou off the inner face of the new hub to achieve the correct end float but the as you say the undamaged hub slid on like the proverbial ....

Nick

DSC01557.JPG

It’s normal for the hub to be a bit tight and it’s not because of the spline. Usually they’ll go on by hand until you can just get the nut started - unless there is a spline problem or the threads are damaged (common).

The shaft has a land inboard of the splines which is intended to be an interference fit inside the inner spigot of the hub where the inner bearing fits. Whether the degree of interference was intended to be enough to expand the spigot and hold the bearing, I’m not sure, but this does frequently seem to be the effect. This is what makes the last 10 - 12 mm tight.

The other side-effect is that the splined shaft becomes unusable when the first couple of threads on the end of it get pulled off when using the nut to try to draw everything together.  You can get around that by putting the whole assembly in a press, though that is hardly convenient.

It’s an unnecessarily complex design that brings more difficulties than benefits IMO.

Nick

That hub looks like it's on as far as it should go. The spline ends on the hub don't normally line up with with the end of the shaft splines when it's in final position. Is the hub still rocking about ? is there any wobble/end float when you grab the hub. ? If it's not, then it's probably on as far as possible. 

Gav

One of the problems that can happen is the splines twist by a very small amount over many years of use. This means they will only go back on fully in one position. Try taking the hub off and turning it 1 spline, then putting it back. If it still doesn't fit try another i spline rotation, keep doing this until it fits fully home. It's worth a try.

You should be able to wind in the last part on the nut using little force.

Dave

8 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

One of the problems that can happen is the splines twist by a very small amount over many years of use. This means they will only go back on fully in one position. Try taking the hub off and turning it 1 spline, then putting it back. If it still doesn't fit try another i spline rotation, keep doing this until it fits fully home. It's worth a try.

You should be able to wind in the last part on the nut using little force.

Dave

... but not the amount of force that had obviously been used on my old hub by a previous fettler.  The washer had been dished and the hub splines spun until they locked onto the shaft 

1 hour ago, Qu1ckn1ck said:

... but not the amount of force that had obviously been used on my old hub by a previous fettler.  The washer had been dished and the hub splines spun until they locked onto the shaft 

Agreed. As I said little force.

It sound like the previous fettler didn't put the hub back in the same position as it came off, hence the damage. The whole thing locks/jams up.

Always mark the position of the hub before you remove it.

Dave

• Like 1

The hub went on to that point with a couple of taps, I put the hub pulley on and knocked it on with hammer. I haven’t got any wobble and moves freely, any friction seems to be from the spacer and inner seal when it moves, I haven’t checked the end float yet. I’ve got 2 spare sets of hubs and spindles and they seem to go on to the same point. Going to attempt the other side and see how that goes on.