Herald 1200 timing chain/tensioner worth inspection?

Tom

Hello, I currently have my radiator and water pump off. 

I have been collecting bits and bobs for the car for a good few years and looking through my parts I found a timing cover gasket and oil seal. I'd forgotten I'd bought them, but I do remember now I'd bought them as I thought it would be a good idea to check the condition of the chain and tensioner at some point.

Obviously now whilst it is all accessible would make sense but then again am I wasting my time as there is nothing to suggest a problem, I suppose my point is do the chains tend to be problematic and is it worth checking?

Thanks, Tom.

I haven't run the car properly for probably 8yrs, just started it every so often. I don't remember any nasty rattles and it look dry enough in that area. I think your right Nigel if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

I just wondered if folk treated it almost like a service item eg. at 50K change it type of thing?

The chain will probably be ok but the tensioner rubs directly on it so the links wear two channels. It can look bad but presumably carries on doing its job for a long time before breaking up... I would open it up for peace of mind especially as you have the gasket and seal. After 8 years there's no rush to get it on the road is there🤣

chains and tensioners are not problematic

the only thing is as the chain pivots wear the chain becomes a little longer and this affects the relation between the cam and distributor timing

you can compensate for ign timing but cant adjust cam timing ,  as the chain effectively gets longer the cam timing becomes later. not a lot 

but putting it right can improve performance , this loss is slow and progressive over the years 

if you do get involved please  read up on how to use the sprocket fixing bolt holes to adjust the cam timing which needs to be considered 

as you have to remove the sprocket to change the chain , just putting it back where you think it came from may not be correct 

Pete

I think I'm going to leave it alone, it can be nice little manageable job in the future.

It's going to be water pump , stat housing and rad back in today, I was just wondering if it is wise to use any form of sealant on the gaskets or just fit them dry?

I have some wellseal to hand?

well seal is good and yes sealer on the stat hsg.

it may need a flat sandpaper to clean the faces the stat sits in a groove ring in the pump hsg, and if the stat has not got a'jiggle; pin in the disc drill a 3mm hole to bleed air out while its shut

with all the old faces a smear of sealant (whatevermake) is worthwhile .

if the pump has a bleed hole that goes at the bottom , its to let leaks out not for oiling 

Pete

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I think I'm going to leave it alone, it can be nice little manageable job in the future.

It means radiator out, waterpump housing and all attachments off, and awkward access to the front part of the engine in situ especially removing the crank pulley nut.

I'd replace it now and then you'll know it's been done and should have no worries for a lot of miles to come. Otherwise, you'll wonder about every little rattle from the front end... and it'll niggle... 

I understand Colin but I've got it all back together now! 

The continual issue I'm having at the moment is how far do I take this? My goal is to get a tidy/solid car back on the road and enjoy it, once I am back in that position I can slowly work through the detail. I have to keep reminding myself that the summer I took this car off the road I drove it all the way from Derby to southern Brittany and it ( or me )didn't bat an eyelid! It's in infinitely better shape now! Also I don't have a bottomless pit of cash at the moment so I'd rather concentrate on the known weaknesses of the Herald and risk it that the stuff that doesn't tend to go wrong probably won't.......hopefully!

If lock down/quarantine restrictions start to loosen my plan is to drive the old girl back down to Brittany in August as it's my mates 50th and I've got plenty to get done by then!!

• Like 1

thats the old utopia or compromise .....so youre right , do what you are happy with , makes a happy and more  ecconomical hobby 

if it aint broke dont fix it works well for many  so get her running get to know the feel of the car   then plan any extra you feel needs attention

if any 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

thats the old utopia or compromise .....so youre right , do what you are happy with , makes a happy and more  ecconomical hobby 

if it aint broke dont fix it works well for many  so get her running get to know the feel of the car   then plan any extra you feel needs attention

if any 

Pete

+1

Makes complete sense if you are aiming to improve a car to enjoy driving (as opposed to a complete end-to-end, factory fresh restoration).

Nigel