Steering lower swivels - jack up before lubricating

The lubrication chart in my Herald Haynes manual states on the Lubrication Chart (page 11):-

"Jack front wheels clear of ground before lubricating"

This instruction is not re-stated in the routine maintenance in the Suspension Dampers and Steering section (Chapter 11 para 2; page 171).

As it takes considerable pressure to lubricate with the wheels of the ground is the instruction to lubricate with the wheel jacked up correct or necessary?

Thanks,

Dave

I always jack the car up to take the pressure off the trunnion threads and dust seals  on the top of the trunnions. That way you can pump the oil in much easier and make sure it comes out of the top of the trunnion body around the seal.

Gav

Thanks trigolf.

I'm pretty sure that mine were easier to oil when the car was not jacked up. 

I'm confused. (my age perhaps!!)

Could my trunions somehow have been wrongly fitted?

Dave

18 hours ago, daveg said:

As it takes considerable pressure to lubricate with the wheels of the ground is the instruction to lubricate with the wheel jacked up correct or necessary?

Never found that it takes much pressure; I do mine with a cheap oil can that has a pointed plastic nozzle and the oil overflows out from under the rubber cap easily enough. The grease nipple is only there - as far as I'm concerned - to confuse new owners and keep dirt out.

I wouldn't have thought that there should be much movement in the trunnion anyway - I mean up and down - as the threads should be tight to each other; the bottom of the threaded section should not be so tight to the bottom of the trunnion that it prevents oil from flowing, and don't forget that it pumps up into the trunnion rather than flowing down.