Horn not working, steering column not ground?

I’m trying to make the horn work. I’ve tracked down that the wire contact attached to the steering wheel switch ring had broken and I’ve re-soldered it on. 

I touched a jump lead from the ring to the steering column boss and the horns sprung into life. I reassembled everything but, disappointingly, it didn’t work. The push switch works fine and the spring loaded contact from switch to ring also seems ok. A multimeter shows that the steering shaft does not appear to be ground, hence the switch can not complete its circuit. The new to me car has only recently had a restoration.

I’ve finished working on the car for the day and I’ll look again tomorrow. 

Any ideas!

Thanks in advance.

There are two earth straps involved, both of which frequently get left off.

The first is from the loom (or chassis or engine) to the steering rack, attached under the bolt that plugs the hole where the grease nipple would go, on the top above the pinion. That earths the rack, which is rubber mounted and thus not otherwise earthed.

The second is a little wire across the flexible coupling at the bottom of the column, where it attaches to the rack. The flexible coupling has rubber bits, so without that wire the inner column is not earthed to the rack. It's not earthed anywhere else because it runs in a couple of rubber bushes.

20 minutes ago, NonMember said:

There are two earth straps involved, both of which frequently get left off.

..........The second is a little wire across the flexible coupling at the bottom of the column, where it attaches to the rack. The flexible coupling has rubber bits, so without that wire the inner column is not earthed to the rack. It's not earthed anywhere else because it runs in a couple of rubber bushes.

I’ve already removed and cleaned all contact surfaces on the first one but I’m not aware of the second so thanks for the pointer.

I don’t recall seeing the second one, can you be a bit more specific to help me locate it? How close to the rack? How is it attached and where is it earthed?

Thanks to you, too, mark. Your method is Plan b 😀

one advantage of swap to  the modern design UJ is it doesnt need the link wire ,

Marks idea I have seen on other cars and solves all the horn column earth problems Im sure e had some photos on the old lost forum ??

any sprung   contrivance  in conctact with the inner  column and earthed to the baulkhead   makes a good job for life 

Pete