1147 Spitfire Engine

Neil Clark

Do these engines always run so smoothly?  It's not "thrashy" like my MGB at the top end.

I've no idea what was done to the engine when the PO had it rebuilt, all I know is that it's the original engine number from the Heritage certificate and it has a Weber carb.  The engine seems to rev really willingly to 6000 plus.   I read that 6000 is the max revs for power back in 1963 but it seems to want to run past that.

The 1147 with the Mk2 Spitfire cam is an absolute jewel. They are remarkable free-reving and surprisingly torquey for their size and they never seem to run out of puff. I remember reading that it was the most efficient of all the engines in the small chassis Triumphs, but I may have imagined that. Anyway, I think you are very lucky to still have the original as most of the Mk1s&2s I see advertised seem to have one of the later engines in place.  Enjoy it!, rev its nuts off!

Adrian

Without taking the cam out and looking for an identifying numbers, the only way would be to measure the valve timing. Of course if they have fitted a weber carb it's not unlikely that the cam is not standard. It may also have had other mods. Mine is pretty easy to rev and is standard