Quick question about O/D mounting plate on GT6

RichardS

I'm sure that this will seem a simple question to the experts on here ... but I want to change the overdrive/chassis mounting plate on my GT6 Mk3 as I can see a small crack in the current plate. For other reasons, I have the transmission tunnel off at the moment so appear to have good access to the two bolts holding the O/D bracket onto the plate and the four bolts holding the mounting plate to the chassis, apart from the one on the drivers side directly below the O/D solenoid which looks a bit of a squeeze.

The question is ..... if I release the two bolts holding the O/D bracket onto the plate, will I then be able to jack up the end of the O/D unit with the prop shaft still connected (it has a telescopic joint) sufficiently so as to be able to access the bolt underneath the solenoid and then slide the plate out (forwards or backwards) so as to be able to replace it?

Many thanks

Richard

Not sure how much you can raise the rear without the prop hitting the tunnel, so you may need to undo the prop from the box. 

But 99% certail you can swap the plate without removing the box. Again, you may need to remove the rubber OD mount. But nothing difficult.

i dont see a problem  , the tunnel/prop clearance as clive says is the only restriction but should give plenty to slide the old plate out 

as getting a spanner on the two mount to plate bolts is a right faf i  tack welded the bolts into the mount so they dont rotate

socket cap bplts would be a usefull mod here as spanner access /angle is not the best 

make sure you position the plate to clear the OD plugs underside

Pete

Thanks all for the advice. I've ordered a new plate so I'll have a go at replacing the old one.

I've spent most of today re- modelling the driver's seat base so that it goes one complete notch further back to better accommodate my 6ft 3in frame. It now does so but Triumph clearly did not want to make it easy for owners to undertake such an exercise. 🙁

Richard

35 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I never modified mine but just push it back past the last notch, so that every time I brake sharply it slides forward until it clicks, and I have to push it back again... :)

I tried that but mine only went back about a 1/4 of a notch before the sliding frame hit the cross-member. It now goes back a complete notch into the newly created end notch. 🙂

Richard