Seam Sealer recommendations

hardhatharry

15 hours ago, hardhatharry said:

Can anyone recommend a seal sealer and best way to apply particularly between the bonnet and wings on a spitfire??

If you mean the outer seam, the original was called "heavy drip" (or similar) and the club shop used to sell it. That seam is a bit of a nightmare, as it does flex and the paint usually builds up in it, making it likely to crack. I used a polyurethane seam sealer similar to tiger seal, but that has given way after a few years use (about 30K miles)

I was recommended Tetrosyl CSS310 rubberised seam sealant, I have some but not used it yet. It looks easier to apply than the stuff that comes in a tin as you apply it using a standard builders mastic gun and cut the tip to the required size like bathroom sealant. Hope this helps a little. Got mine from either Amaz@n or Fleabay.

I'm assuming the situation is sealing of the outside of the bonnet top to wing seam on a vehicle which has either had new wings or the original seam has been cleaned up and de-rusted.

If you went a mid-price body shop what you would probably get is a generic polyurethane adhesive-sealant (e.g Starchem PU at £5 a tube). Applied with a caulk gun (Mastic gun) and finished off with a moist finger. I don't know Tetrosyl CSS310  in particular but the principle would be same.

But to add a bit to that:

• PU sealants are good and durable for some years. But many will dry to a gloss finish or 'sweat' and any paint applied over them may crawl off or crack a few weeks later. Similar to silicone bathroom sealant which won't accept paint. So it might be a good idea to do a test first.

• Another approach to consider might be two pack epoxy putty. This would apply especially if the seam is uneven, pitted, or too wide. I've used Milliput on a job recently. It's bond's tightly to metal, dries tough and hard but can still be sanded to deal with any defects. Can be knifed deeply into the seam to help bury any  inaccessible rust pits.

More than one way to skin a cat here but I hope that's some help.