Tr6 starting

Ziggy

1973 fuel injection. When starting it runs rough for about a min then seems ok after that. I have put fuel injection cleaner in, maybe that will help, but feeling the pulses on the pipes, all ok except number 5 which is weaker than the rest by a fair bit. Is this the injector at fault or something else?  I guess whatever it is is causing my problem.

Very common problem on PI cars. You’re doing quite well if it starts on 5......

Usually down to either a dribbly injector loosing pressure when the engine is off or a faulty non-return valve at the MU end of the injector line - most commonly the banjo bolt ones ( 2 & 5).

Nick

Ziggy

pull the injectors out when it is runnng and point into a jam jar to look at spray pattern

if one is dribble, point it upwards and tap repeatedly, or pull the end (Pintle?) gently, should clear any trapped air or specs of dirt.

but starting on 5 is common, will start on 4 as well, but 3 is pushing it, and can give fantastic flames as you set off and try to clear it in my experience.

But the backfires were impressive!

Update on injector fault, I pulled number 5 out when engine not running, pulled the needle out a few times so the petrol trickled out and it seems to run much better now, nice strong pulse , nearly as good as the others, so lets hope thats sorted now for a while, and it started first time too!