Cooling system pipe melted next to exhaust

jeffc

Hello,

On my 1500 Spitfire the rubber cooling pipe from the intent manifold t piece to the block has melted where it is next to the exhaust manifold.

The manifold was changed several years ago to a Bell 4 into 2 s/s one to match the Bell exhaust system - the clearance between the pipe and manifold seems to be same as he cast version but I guess the heat transfer is higher with the s/s manifold.

It doesn’t seem to be touching the manifold but has a burnt/melted section around the size of a 1p coin which then failed under pressure.

Has anyone else had this issue and has anyone found a solution - making a heat shield or wrapping the pipe in insultating tape?

Thanks,

Jeff

Has your car got the metal coolant pipe that runs back from the water pump correctly fitted? It's this one, which is behind the exhaust manifold:

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-212935SS

The pipe should run straight back from the water pump and be parallel to the cylinder block, in which case the rubber hoses attaching to it should have sufficient clearance from the hot exhaust. If this metal pipe has been bent, twisted, cut short etc, it's possible the rubber pipes connecting to it will be too close to the exhaust.

As Pete says, silicone is a good option as it's more heat resistant than conventional rubber, but I would check the metal pipe first.

Nigel

on the Vit6 the stainless /metal bypass would not  fit with a tubular manifold  you can just see the end of the replaced bypass  used to distance the 1st primery  Red elbow from the back of the pump which had 15mm copper outside of the hot tubes     not the same as a 4 pot  but an idea 

Pete

carbs.JPG

24 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

on the Vit6 the stainless /metal bypass would not  fit with a tubular manifold  you can just see the end of the replaced bypass  used to distance the 1st primery  Red elbow from the back of the pump which had 15mm copper outside of the hot tubes     not the same as a 4 pot  but an idea 

Pete

carbs.JPG

That's interesting. The pipe clears okay with the tubular exhaust manifold on my GT6.

My Spit has the original cast iron exhaust manifold, so no issue with clearance.

Nigel

2 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

But not on my Mk1 and came up with a similar solution to Pete's.

Dick

Interesting. Maybe it works differently on early 6 pot heads compared to the later full width heads,like my Mk3 GT6.

None of which helps with a Spitfire of course! I would still want to check the route of that metal bypass pipe.

Nigel