Electric fan sensor in head

Iain T

6 hours ago, Iain T said:

I'll punt around for a Y piece, the Davies Craig fan sensor is 1/4 npt, I'll need to find out what my temp gauge sensor is but should be doable. 

The problem is that any of the ones I've found so far are quite large; this one is a welding gas y-piece with a 5/8 UNF thread, but once attached to the head it's going to be quite bulky.

WES-401_Inert_Gas_Y_Splitter_LRG.jpg.b165922c765bb60be89da525cf273a3e.jpg

One thought has just come to me; you know the blanked-off take-off at the other end of the head... TRs use it for the heater output. I'm wondering how any kind of heat sensor there would accurately reflect the state of the engine cooling? It's certainly a ready-tapped aperture into the cooling system... but would it be suitable for any kind of adjustable sensor?

As far as I can fathom I need to go from 5/8 UNF at the housing to 1/4 NPT for the fan sensor and whatever the water temp gauge sensor is (measures approx 16mm dia). So the Y or T piece needs ideally to be 5/8 UNF male (housing) with 1/4 NPT female (fan) and  5/8 UNF'ish female (water temp). Obviously this will not be a stock item so I will have to find at least an adaptor for the fan sensor.

I could use the other side where the hose is, ideally a T piece for this option but you've set my very small grey cells into action!

No1 issue now is controlling the rocker oil!

Iain