Electric fan sensor in head

Iain T

Rather than fit the sensor in a hose adaptor has anyone tried a Y piece or similar in the head so that the temp and leccy fan sensors can be fitted. If I can help it I would rather not cut and fit an adaptor in the top hose. I currently have a sensor that pokes in the rad but am not happy with it. 

Iain 

You could always try to adapt a thermostat housing, in the same way as early Heralds did.

I've tried three options in the past: thermostat housing drilled and tapped for sensor, waterpump housing drilled and tapped for two sensors, and a sensor in the bottom hose using a rally-car-style adaptor.

DSCF5446.jpg.22ef806e85d1c147a046150b8f671e77.jpg DSCF5445.jpg.33c3aaa8a490a2ed82839196b792dff6.jpg DSCF5450.jpg.636466a83a2fd05a15ca560a03a14e62.jpg

27 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Colin, I'll do more investigating. I thought the in line was supposed to be in the top hose? 

Iain 

Not necessarily, though more common. I think temp needs to be about 7 degrees lower in bottom hose, I used an 85 degree switch IIRC on my spitfire. 

I would be careful about position, water temp to the rad is a good call, but I guess the water pump housing should be OK. Trying to get my head around it.

For me it will be easier to use the Davis Craig sensor which has the plug to the controller. You just unplug the rad sensor and replace with the water sensor. I could fit this to either a hose adaptor or into the head or thermostat housing. 

I'll make a decision and just go for it, they will all work. 

Iain 

Attached two versions of rad fan switch install for a Spitfire and Vitesse, latter in top hose and uses stock in hose barrel nipple with 1/4in NPT thread, hoses are 2 modified Holden Gemini (Isuzu) that fit well.

The Spitfire one I modified an early Spit/ 2000 thermo cover (with boss) drilling out and treading 1/4in NPT it's relatively large dia so I had to be very careful to ensure I kept enough metal to hold down bolt hole, latter fitted to daughters Mk2 Spit for elect fan auto control works very well and we have 3 different ranged temp switch's for experimentation. I have a near new in perfect thermo cover that I've modified too to replace the photo one which has seen better days.

I hate those capilllary tubes that push under the hose to rad or thermo cover joint. 

Modified Vitesse TopHose for Temp Switch.JPG

Tapped Thermo Cover.jpg

16 hours ago, Iain T said:

Colin, I'll do more investigating. I thought the in line was supposed to be in the top hose? 

Iain 

Bottom hose being longer means the unit is easier to fit - there's not really enough room in that short top hose - but requires a different, or at least adjustable, sensor to allow for the cooler water coming from the rad. I always adjusted mine judging by the temp gauge.

47 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

requires a different, or at least adjustable, sensor to allow for the cooler water coming from the rad. I always adjusted mine judging by the temp gauge.

The Davies Craig controller is fully adjustable and will also control two fans. I had trouble fitting one! 

As it's a grim day today I'll have another look and fiddle. 

Iain 

I ran the cables down nearside with rest of loom then across the round bar behind the front valence with the relay fitted to front off offside engine valence. Fitted a fused dedicated supply from battery through a relay switched by ignition with an override switch and run light.

The Revotec device is just the sensor unit to fit in the bottom hose and the relay for the fan so at it's simplest it just needs power and earth.

Regards

Paul

Just gapped the rockers and took a general look around. I still think if I can get a Y piece to fit into the thermostat housing it would be the simplest solution. Does anyone know the housing thread size? 

This is my 'garage' .....before the lights go out! 

IMG_20201114_144359.jpg

The 13/60 currently has the stock engine driven fan. I am considering fitting a suitable electric fan, or even a pair, so this post is of interest.

Question?. Most advertised Thermo; controller "stats" appear to be a Fixed 80C (175/6F). Which is the same (+ or -) as the thermostat opening temperature?. If such (sensor) is in the lower hose, the fan will cut in potentially at a different Temperature?. As the Fully Open Temp; is shown in the Haynes manual as 200-205F. Is it potentially going to over cool?.

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Question?. Most advertised Thermo; controller "stats" appear to be a Fixed 80C (175/6F). 

Firstly do you need a fan? Are there current heating / cooling problems?

Secondly, don't go for a fixed temperature controller, go for a variable system. There's quite a wide choice, the link is to both a digital and a manual controller from a kit car builder website, but there are dozens available.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/cooling-fans#/pageSize=20&viewMode=grid&orderBy=15