2000 Mk II Saloon gearbox in Vitesse

Roger

9 hours ago, thescrapman said:

It needs a Mk1 2000 flywheel

Thanks for this info SM! I have a big pile of flywheels and that is probably the only version I do not have in my evergrowing collection of six pot parts. A few more one thousand mile trips to Sweden and I should have that one too! 👍

hey look  just found some misguided plonker has a UNIVERSAL fits ALL gearbox   ...this will solve everything    HHHMMmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-VITESSE-6-1600-early-2000-SALOON-GEARBOX-MANUAL-Bellhousing/164562553285?hash=item2650b149c5:g:1kAAAOSwv4xfnuk7

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, johny said:

Im confused! So it looks like with a Mk1 Saloon flywheel you can fit either a small or (the original) large gearbox to a long crank engine with no modifications?

I have not tried to fit the large gearbox to the MB engine (yet) so don't know if that works.

I think now the Mk1 Saloon (at least some) must have used the small box and so, as youve just put the original type flywheel back on the MB engine, thats why your Vitesse gearbox now fits. The large box now probably wont work as for that you'll need the later flywheel....  

25 minutes ago, johny said:

I think now the Mk1 Saloon (at least some) must have used the small box

I think that highly unlikely. The 2000 saloon replaced the Vanguard Six, which already used the big box on that engine, at a time when the small box was only fitted to four cylinder engines (give or take - the Vitesse was much quicker into production but started later).