GT6 replacement wiper switch

rulloyd

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

isnt avMk2 wiper motor wired differently? 

It's certainly a very different wiper motor from Mk1 to Mk3 but I don't recall when it changed. The Haynes wiring diagram shows the Mk2 like the Mk3. Mk3 Spitfires still had the single-speed square motor.

Don’t shoot me, but weren’t the earlier single speed wiper motors  live being supplied direct form the ign + and the circuit is closed by the switch to earth, whereas the two speed motors are supplied with + ign power from the switch and the circuit is completed at the motor ie earthed. But a switch just breaks the circuit so I wouldn’t/shouldn’t have any effect!

Hi Peter.  The GT mk2 has the same colour wires in the same places as the Spit 1500 on the switch - Except there are two green on the GT (on the same switch terminal).  I mention this in an earlier post.  My conclusion from looking at wiring diagrams was the same as yours.   👍

Now I’ve checked (according to Rimmers on-line pages if that can be trusted)

GT Mk 2 & 3, spit IV & 1500 all the same part numbers for switches and motors

GT MK 1 had the early motor but is not the same one listed for Spit 1, 2 ,3

On 02/02/2021 at 17:41, Colin Lindsay said:

Leacys are also selling them for £34, thats with VAT added already

http://www.leacyclassics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=155495&cat=

Out of stock with no plans to get any in.  Apparently they get them from Rimmer!  (Also out of stock with no plans....).  Paddocks & moss the same.       Moss price is showing as £83.60 for the same switch!!

• 1 month later...

Managed to get one of these switches 2 speed with the electrical connectors instead of water nipples.   Not sure what it comes off but a direct replacement & works a treat.  

Connections exactly the same unlike the earlier spitfire one I bought.  It’s not in my GT6 parts manual and I’ve seen a GT6 non roto has bellows.  Pretty sure it’s not an aftermarket.

A81D0FE0-D019-47F7-B508-A0681D34CFE7.png

I have a similar switch fitted to my Vitesse Mk2 to facilitate the modified 2 speed wipers and an electric windscreen pump.

I brought it here in Melbourne,  Aus, locally from a chap who had it as a spare for his Australian version of the Chrysler 180, here known as the Centura and powered by a 6 cylinder 3.5 or 4.0litre Chrysler Hemi engine from the Aussie big saloon Chrysler Valiant/Charger, I believe the Centura could be a handful if driven with spirit!.

The only downside of the switch was the plastic hexagonal spindle vs the old Triumph steel one, so you have to be a little careful when rotating the knob..