Oil Flush

Martin White

Did you get water etc into the oilways?

If you want to flush I would put the cheap oil in, and actually get the car driven for a while so it gets properly hot and circulates for plenty of time. Then dran and fill with your oil of choice and change the filter

If you have been careful and not got anything into the oilways, I wouldn't worry about an oil flush. Even a  bit of coolant isn't a real issue, it soon evaporates

No, what Clive said!

After I fixed mine I ran for a couple of weeks on Halford’s classic 20/50 and then swapped over to Millers. 

My next door neighbour asked “How do you know it’s blown a head gasket?” (Doh!). I turned the engine over and a jet of water shot out No.1 spark plug hole. Missed him, sadly. 

Doug

• Haha 1

Yes perhaps it would be best to drain the exisitng oil (if you havent already) without getting it hot as it could be quite contaminated from the head gasket fail. Then just a normal oil + filter change and run. Then you can check the colour of the oil to ensure youve not got any water in it (milky colour) and if ok drive it until the next usual oil change... 

Yes I would do an flush change if moving parts had to bed in after machining as that will tend to generate metal particles.

Im guessing that the original blocked waterway was probably down to poor maintenance and I hope that didnt happen during your custody of the vehicle😁

No. I am slowly putting things right after buying. Managed 10 miles before head gasket blew. Has been a god send during lockdown though as given me plenty to do and still plenty left to do. Hoping to get it up and running reliably in time for nice weather and club meets etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clive said:

I wouldn't worry about an oil flush. Even a  bit of coolant isn't a real issue, it

i agree with Clive , its quite rare that any coolant gets into the sump oil  with a HG failure 

in general  it doesnt migrate past the rings and most HG failures allow high combustion pressures into the water jacket not the few psi of the coolant   untill you stop and then it may entre the bores ,  rarely into the tappet chest 

Pete