TR6 Headrest

NevSpit

Thanks Doug.

I was thinking that the curve would move the headrest further away from your head when it was up so your head had further to travel before it was eventually stopped by the rest. If it was the other way round it would move it closer.  Academic really as my head is well above it anyway!

and keeping the stem away from your back bones 

not on a |TR but the orig seats in the 2000 has a similar unit and with the soft backrest having seen better days 

you could feel the guts of the seatback and head rest stem 

hence now have alfa seats witha ..........proper head rest  

many of the period were for advertising bumph not  serious safety 

Pete

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It follows the curve of the spine (roughly) for driver comfort. The other way round, it would be like sitting at the Dentist's all the time...

Which is an issue that afflicts many modern vehicles - head restraints that push your head forwards uncomfortably. I had an issue with my modern car and went online looking for a solution and there are hundreds of threads on various forums with people replacing head restraints, removing them, reversing them, bending their supporting legs... Apparently, the manufacturers' thinking is that if you are already in contact with the head restraint, rear impact whiplash will be reduced. Seems to have been a growing problem from 2017 onwards.

Gully