Solenoid right or not?

Martin White

Hi Folks

Had a few problems with solenoid sticking so ordered a replacement which is supposed to be suitable for Spitfire 1500. There seem to be a connector missing which I have on the one already in the car. Have I got the wrong part or do I need to "wire" differently.

Any advice, as always, extremely appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

It should be like for like, there's only one way to connect the main wires ie cable from battery, cable to starter and the ignition terminal in between; unless there's an extra take-off / spade connector specific to your car that isn't used on any other model?

That's the earlier type, without the extra terminal. Except that Triumph never fitted that - there was a very similar one but it had a rubber button for manual operation.

The extra terminal is the bypass for the ballast resistor in the ignition coil feed. It beefs up your spark while cranking, to help start on a weak battery. You may not really need that but the solenoid you've been supplied is the wrong part and should be returned for a refund or exchange to the right part. Where did you buy it?

I think, Looking at the 13/60 wiring diagramme, (Making an assumption that it IS similar to the Spit) that IF you have a 12V Coil and no ballast resister, then the start solenoid only needs 3 terminals. (Which is what is shown on my 13/60 wiring diag;) However IF you have a low votage Coil then you DO need the 4th terminal, to bypass the Ballast resister ONLY during cranking, as feeding the Coil continuously at 12V will accelerate burnout.

Pete