Best Order to Strip Down Doors for Acid Dipping..

DVD3500

My '72 Spitfire is almost completely naked.

The plan is to remove everything and acid dip the body and chassis as we have no clue if rust is hiding the frame or inside the sills etc.

While I know how to take out the locks, handles windows etc. I have only ever done this to repair something and put it straight back in again.

As the parts all have to come out and will be out for weeks, maybe months I am trying to figure out if there is an ideal order I should take them out and also how to be sure none of the small, fragile parts get lost or broken.

The biggest question is when to remove the glass... Should it be done first, last, in between?

Am I overthinking this?!

If the door is similar to my Vitesse door I removed each bolt , photographed in place , put in a plastic bag with a ref no then photographed again with the plastic bag in the photo . You will need to disconnect the winder before the window can be removed . For the Vitesse the 1/4 light needs removal before the window can be removed . Also all the trim / clips . 
when reassembling the window can be dropped to its lowest point and the 1/4 light refixed for spraying 

Paul 

Take care when you disassemble the remote door linkages. Tape around the door aperture edges with two thicknesses of insulation tape and wear heavy duty rubber gloves to protect your wrists. These linkages were designed for personal damage. Carefully reach inside the door and remove the fiddly connectors making a note as to what goes where and also make sure that you retrieve EVERYTHING that drops inside the door. Reassemble on the bench and photograph before you bag and label them. When you come to refit search here for various cheats as to how to get them to stay together. These were designed by children of the d*vil and should be stamped 666!! Yes, you have guessed it...I hate them having lost skin, blood, fingers nails trying to get mine to stay together

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

Thanks!

I have an official manual (in German) as well as Haynes and the Restoration Guide...

I getting a 50/50 split on whether to take the glass out first or last...

Both ways but easier to unbolt all and take out through side allowing you to get your hand in and wiggle it up and through.

I would strip out everything (carefully and painlessly), remove the rubber weatherstrips taking out the glass when you feel it is the easiest point to do so. Make sure that you carefully check for dropped parts inside the doors before they go for stripping. Use one of those mirrors on a stick or one of the scopes that you can get for about £30.

12 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I would strip out everything (carefully and painlessly), remove the rubber weatherstrips taking out the glass when you feel it is the easiest point to do so. Make sure that you carefully check for dropped parts inside the doors before they go for stripping. Use one of those mirrors on a stick or one of the scopes that you can get for about £30.

I used a magnet on a telescopic wand . The Vitesse required circlip removal which is out of sight , used a cheap 5 ins diameter mirror to view the clip . Worked well 

Paul