Anyone measure distributor dwell?

1969Mk3Spitfire

16 minutes ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

I recently acquired a digital meter that includes a dwell function. Does anyone use dwell as a means to set the points? Any experience to share?

What is the dwell spec for the 1296 FD engine?

Thanks

I always use a dwell meter when setting points as it's more accurate and enables you to get the timing spot on as well. Not sure of the dwell reading for yours but it should tell you in the manual. 

Tony.

Timing should be the last thing set, after the points are adjusted, if I'm right. That note of mine in the Haynes manual would be easier read if I'd written it as 42 - 45 AND 8 degrees BTDC.

I've just found this during a quick search on Spitfires:

Contact points: Gap 0.015in. (Mark 2, 0.020in.) corresponding with dwell angle reading of 36 +/- 1 degrees (1967 and earlier cars), or 41 +/- 1 degrees (1968/69 examples), or 39 +/- 1 degrees (Mark IV), or 51 +/- 5 degrees (1500). 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Timing should be the last thing set, after the points are adjusted, if I'm right. That note of mine in the Haynes manual would be easier read if I'd written it as 42 - 45 AND 8 degrees BTDC.

I've just found this during a quick search on Spitfires:

Contact points: Gap 0.015in. (Mark 2, 0.020in.) corresponding with dwell angle reading of 36 +/- 1 degrees (1967 and earlier cars), or 41 +/- 1 degrees (1968/69 examples), or 39 +/- 1 degrees (Mark IV), or 51 +/- 5 degrees (1500). 

See what you mean :) we are both right 

Tony.