Identify Bolts on Vitesse Rear Tub?

t-stag

Continuing my Vitesse MkII Convertible stripdown.

I have removed all the bolts, nuts, washers between the Rear Tub and the Chassis (a bit of a battle against Mr Rust after 52 years).

What are these 2 bolts behind the rear seat and just below the springs access? Plus there is a clip above them which retains a cable (Handbrake?) behind.

The other 2 holes were for the rear seat lap seat belts.

The Heritage Certificate describes the paint as Valencia Blue, but I haven't found any. Old invoices for Signal Red, so maybe it is a replacement Rear Tub. Also had a mixture of imperial and metric fasteners from previous work.

Thanks

Steve 

Bolts tba.JPG

3 hours ago, t-stag said:

Continuing my Vitesse MkII Convertible stripdown.

I have removed all the bolts, nuts, washers between the Rear Tub and the Chassis (a bit of a battle against Mr Rust after 52 years).

What are these 2 bolts behind the rear seat and just below the springs access? Plus there is a clip above them which retains a cable (Handbrake?) behind.

The other 2 holes were for the rear seat lap seat belts.

The Heritage Certificate describes the paint as Valencia Blue, but I haven't found any. Old invoices for Signal Red, so maybe it is a replacement Rear Tub. Also had a mixture of imperial and metric fasteners from previous work.

Thanks

Steve 

Bolts tba.JPG

I suspect the two bolts with large penny washers are a modification to try and strengthen the Mk2 Vitesse Hand brake guides? (Unless they are some sort of Strengthener for your rear seat belt mounts?)

The handbrake guides on the Mk2 Vitesse models are renowned for fracturing and pulling away from the rear tub due to Metal fatigue, I had to repair/reinforce them on my old Vitesse during its rebuild

The clip actually holds the brake pipe that links the left to right rear brakes.

Gary

PS - You may have a replacement rear tub fitted from an Earlier Vitesse/Herald which have the Hand-brake guides mounted on the Chassis, so a Previous Owner may have bolted on the MK2 guides to the earlier rear tub?

Hi Gary. Thanks for your help.

I think that the handbrake primary to secondary cable bracket is under this welded on nut, on the floor under the rear seat.

The clip is certainly for the brake pipe and was easily detached.

The 2 bolts were removed, RHS 1/2" spanner and easily came apart. LHS 14mm spanner, rusted solid and drilled out. Still not sure what they were for. Will find out when I lift the rear tub off the chassis.

Mr Rust is certainly fighting me every step of the way. Will be interesting to see if the chassis is saveable.

Steve

Plate for Brake cable.JPG

Q: What are these 2 bolts behind the rear seat and just below the springs access? Plus there is a clip above them which retains a cable (Handbrake?) behind. The other 2 holes were for the rear seat lap seat belts.

A: The inner 2 bolts hold the handbrake guide bracket. The outer 2 bolts hold the lap seat belts and also go through the bracket.

The handbrake cable primary to secondary mechanism is under the welded on nut. This bolt came off easily.

All needs a good clean up!

Handbrake 11.JPG

Handbrake 9.JPG

That is the rotoflex handbrake guide. Not played with one for years, but I remember seeing the brackets with several holes in them. No idea why I am afraid. They are welded on, so not sure why bolts too (unless the body was from a non-rotoflex car, and the bracket was bolted then welded in place?)

1 hour ago, t-stag said:

Thanks Clive. This bracket is not welded on, just bolted. It has seen better days, but is probably serviceable when cleaned up. Regards Steve

Does it have big bump stop brackets in the rear wheel arches? I am certain the handbrake guide is welded.