Drivers Side Step - Vitesse

Paul H

Hi, new sills nearly ready for fitting on my Vitesse. Spraying done , a few blemish corrections and buffing before polishing . Turned my attention to cleaning up the drivers side step which had been smothered with filler . The metal is sound so guess it was cosmetic . There is now a clear step between the body shell and the the bulkhead . Previously this was filled and smoothed . Is the step normal ?

First pic shows the step and second pic shows the new protector which will be fitted . Previously there was an hammered alloy cover which is much longer than the new one and extended the full length of the door opening . Not sure if this was original or a diy job 

7529908C-A060-4F72-AA2E-335F396681AD.thumb.jpeg.88e18c1b1afdf20fada97597fabe1fc3.jpeg

6E03E4BD-6B71-43B5-B036-7BAA9C7643DE.thumb.jpeg.930eff0dc3c80d2d1427e162c5078bdb.jpeg

Paul

• Paul H changed the title to Drivers Side Step - Vitesse
2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

from my memory it was pretty flat just a joggle overlap 

thats got quite a height variance 

Pete

Hi Pete just checked the passenger side and the gap is an overlap  and the alloy plate is still in place . I know why the cosmetic filler was done 😱The following pics are the passenger side showing a normal step 

D25DAD25-B3CA-4010-8639-9772063D9316.thumb.jpeg.a9e63fa3bc8cee3fba6cbb928f246b89.jpeg

D8DD6A30-3F21-40C4-BBCA-AFDE5B8FC28B.thumb.jpeg.71d788de6c1f30a0467f7a441df9de9c.jpeg

Paul

10 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Is it a cill Repair?. There looks to be a second thickness of steel under the forward section?.

Pete

Hi Pete I think you are correct it’s certainly 2 Layers on both sides . Were sill repair sections available ? 
Paul 

The rear section should be a double layer from the factory.  The floorpan pressing extends out to the edge and folds down with a sectond layer on top that is the tread plate and folds up to form the flange for the door seal.  The bulkhead section is single thickness I think. The actual joint should be a joggled overlap of about 1.5 - 2".  Mine is inclined to a similar offset in height to yours on one side, which is dealt with a couple of beefy pop-rivets pulling the two sections together and level.

Nick

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

The rear section should be a double layer from the factory.  The floorpan pressing extends out to the edge and folds down with a sectond layer on top that is the tread plate and folds up to form the flange for the door seal.  The bulkhead section is single thickness I think. The actual joint should be a joggled overlap of about 1.5 - 2".  Mine is inclined to a similar offset in height to yours on one side, which is dealt with a couple of beefy pop-rivets pulling the two sections together and level.

Nick

The gap on the drivers side is filled with silicone . Need to remove and try to reduce the gap.

The alloy sill cover on the passenger side . Is this an aftermarket product or a standard fitting ? 

I know won`t be original. But I rather fancy Finished Stainless?. I have an old S-S Cooker hood that would cut up nicely!. (And boost my recycling cred; with grumbling, grimacing, Greta?🤣)

Pete