overdrive disconnection

Following the collapse of my overdrive gear lever at the usual place, and whilst waiting to obtain a rebush kit, I have tried to stay mobile by temporarily fitting a spare non o/d gear lever and disconnecting the wires that run from the knob switch. A trip to pick up some paint from Toolstation found the car without engine braking... What have I done wrong?  Should I have completed the circuit from the o/d switch instead of leaving it disconnected, or has something else reared it's  ugly head? 

It's very disconcerting to take your foot of the gas and then feel as if you are in neutral.  Apply throttle and it picks up again.

This is a Mk 4 Spit 3 rail box with D type o/d fitted to a 1500 engine.

The wires connected at the gear lever only engage overdrive in 3rd and 4th. Disconected at the engine bay will stop reverse lights and power to engage overdrive. It will not effect engine braking unless you only have it in overdrive. 

To me it sounds like the OD is engaged continually but the internal one way clutch it has that aids engine braking isnt working as it should. I hope the wiring hasnt shorted and operated the OD especially if youve then reversed the car as apparently that wouldnt be good for it☹️  

does sound like the unit has been reversed with the OD engaged but the inhibitor switch should protect this so you cant 

it is a quick way to get  the  one way clutch to fail 

hence the free wheel situation 

one other thought is the solenoid is seized/rusty inside and the OD is staying engaged whatever the electrics are doing 

Pete

It's all a bit strange, as the inhibitor switch is doing what it's supposed to do. Before the gear lever collapsed, there was no problem and I managed to drive about 15 miles home. Now whether I left the o/d switched on when I parked up I don't know. I will try it for a short distance tomorrow starting with the o/d on and then disconnecting it before parking up. 

What do they say about turning things off and then back on again...