Rattle from bonnet catch?

My Mk3 Spitfire has developed a rapid onset rattle. Thanks to the dreadful state of our roads, it sounds like an exhaust clamp or bumper over rider is lose and it rattles as I drive over potholes.

I’ve had each corner in the air and been underneath the car but can’t pinpoint the source using my palm to hit every conceivable component. My only suspect is the offside bonnet catch. A bang on the near side catch is dull but the offside one definitely rattles.

Adjustment looks like three screws on the catch and two bolts on the body attachment feature.

Do catches have a reputation for rattling? Any guidance or advice to adjust? Any other likely suspects that I may have missed?

Many thanks.

the main adjustments is the rubber conical buffer attached to the bonnet these often fall apart leaving just a metal circle. The rubbers can be adjusted via the threaded stud that holds them in place. Yes they can rattle.

You adjust the height of the bonnet as Dan says by raising or lowering the rubber bonnet cones at each top corner. If it's at the correct height and still rattles then you can lower the bracket on the side of the bulkhead that the bonnet catch hooks into, very slightly, by loosening the two bolts / screws and adjusting up or down.

I bought some off a Triumph supplier, “suitable” for my car turned out they had metric threads. My car has captive nuts, yours may not in which case no problem. But if you need imperial threads the club shop stock them.

Doug

Thanks for the replies.

I’ve had a quick look and I don’t think that the rubber cones are the issue. The car is now in the garage so I’ll drive it again tomorrow. It’s a strange rattle with sudden onset. Not heard it before but it sounds like something is about to fall off. To eliminate the bonnet latch, I could drive it with it unlocked to see if the rattle persists.