GT6 Mk3 rear suspension rebuild starting tomorrow

Hi All, after all the previous posts I’m going to start changing all the rear bushes, removing and inspecting the spring and new rear shocks tomorrow. Couple of quick questions If I may :

1. how do you know which is the front of the spring if it is not marked as such ? The Haynes manual states correct fitting required with front face etc

2. when tightening up all new rear suspension parts ( have new bushes and bolts ) which ones should I leave a little loose to allow settling on the ground and then tightening under load ? Is it just spring eye to top of vertical link or all of them ? 

many thanks in advance 

jeremy

front was only marked on springs to stop the "which way does it fit"  when if you  examine the spring it is in fact symmetrical 

this has been thrown  up a number of time with no one finding the reasons other than it saves a question 

you will need enough side space to fit  the spring ,many find the garage wall gets in the way 

if the body is off   easy

as a mk3 can be rotoflex  you will need a spring lifting bar, if its a swinger its easy with just a jack 

i would leave all  pivots light  nipped until at road height then tighten fully 

Pete

17 hours ago, dellyend1 said:

1. how do you know which is the front of the spring if it is not marked as such ? The Haynes manual states correct fitting required with front face etc

I always fitted the rear spring so that the nuts on the clamps were to the rear, and bolt heads to front; no idea if it saved anything from corrosion or damage but it suits my idea of neatness.

I agree with Pete and Colin. Make sure that you have space to pull the spring out before you start. It's to late when you realise that the garage wall is too close. Take out the diff studs entirely to make thing a little easier. Be prepared for a battle with the spring eye bushes. They either press out easily with two sockets or prove to be real b*st*rds and you have to burn and hacksaw them out. Guess which mine were??! Also check the little rubber thingies between the leaves. I believe that you used to be able to get polybush replacements but they don't seem to be around now. Don't loose any!!!