Window alignment

AlanT

I don't know what car soy have but on spitfires and GT6 their is lots of adjustment when bolting the window winder frames back into the doors and it is a case of trial and error to get the window adjustment right before fitting the  door cards

Totaly Agree with Pete. Mine (13/60 C-V) was at least 18 to 20+mm too far back no doubt not assisted by the bottom of the "A" post being virtually non existant!, as where both floors, I still will not know for certain if it`s "cured" until I rebuild the door/window combination, I was (lucky?) in that I went the the Bridlington Road run/Car show 2019?, and a Guy turned up with one and allowed/helped me to measure from the base of the B Post to top of the frame as a Guide.

Maybe some kind "Spit" owner with a "good" one can do likewise?.

Pete.

I would be more concerned that the Alighment of the forward edge of the glass at the top, Appears to be Closer to the Screen than at the bottom? suggesting the possiblity that the frame is distorted towards the rear? What does the rear screen alignment look like?

Pete

The screen fits perfectly. It’s true that I’ve performed major surgery on the car (27 panels incl doors and boot lid) but the doors are fine. It’s so slight that I may just fine a way to stop the last few mil of travel. 

I have the same issue with my 1975 Spitfire 1500 so perhaps a common occurrence.  I just wind the window up until the glass just touches the screen frame then down about 2 mm.  When I try to make adjustments to fittings, I usually make things worse but I will be interested if you find a solution. 

I know this problem from a GT6 perspective, which is to say that the leading edge of the drop glass runs of at an angle to the desired line. The solution was eventually found by examining the window lift mechanism. The center, triangular piece held by two bolts, has leeway for a certain amount of adjustment allowing the glass to be tilted. Adjusting this tilt corrected the problem on the GT6.

I know Spit lift mechanism is not  exactly the same as GT6 but it might be worth looking at this to see if the same principle applies.

Apart from being adjustable the other thing about the forward and rear glass channels is the condition of the felt running strips. Again speaking from GT6 experience old/worn felts don't control the movement of the glass sufficiently and some replacement felts are too fat so the glass doesn't run freely or correctly.

I can provide measurements off my neverbeenwelded Spit if you need. Do message me if I can help with this.

C