Mechanical v Electric fuel pumps.

Wagger

Another annoying issue with my Vitesse is that somebody fitted a cheap electric fuel pump that does not have a pressure switch to turn it off. Just why did they bother? A 2500 saloon goes well on the original mechanical pump that stops when the engine does. Much safer! 

Now, will the glass bowl one fit on the 2500 engine, or does it need the one that you cannot see through? I'll get my son to send one down from Berwickshire when I know, as he has both in the spares container.

The engine has a blanking plate and gasket over the appropriate aperture, so I am hoping that the cam is there.

New hoses are on ready for any fuel. Tank has been out and inspected through the gauge sender hole, and all crud flushed out.

Now for the Distributor. I'll post that in the correct section.

Slight note of caution - there are two versions of the glass bowl pump. The one fitted to Vitesse 1600 and very early 2L cars has a different operating arm from the later engines (including all 2.5L) because the block is different. I had that problem because my Vitesse got its engine swapped from early to not-quite-so-early and the old pump no longer fitted. It now has a glass top pump that came off a 2500TC - the factory didn't "change to the tin top" pump, they continued to fit both types apparently at random.