Aluminium bodied GT4

Not a lot of tangible progress on the inner wings yesterday but quite a lot of experimentation with cardboard templates took place. I spent a bit of time working on my friend's GT6 who will be joining us on the trip to Tours next month. I also spent time cleaning and painting the door shells preparatory to re-skinning them. Hopefully, by the end of today I'll have some progress to show on the inner wings.gallery_67_25_65832.jpg

The inner wings are just about finished and although they will do what they should, they really don't suit the car at all. This is because they are single curvature with straight folds; the only straight lines on the car. There won't be time to change them before Tours but it will be a priority as soon as we get home. I'll make a buck and do the job properly next time :)gallery_67_25_42905.jpg

Hi John,

the car is looking great. I love the strengthening detail on the bonnet around the catches and scuttle edge. Also the wiring. I am just making a new centre section for my GT6 dash and will do as you have and modify the loom with multiplug connections.

Have you managed to sort the engine after its unfortunate head failure? Really looking forward to the big start up.

regards

Chris

Hi John,

the car is looking great. I love the strengthening detail on the bonnet around the catches and scuttle edge. Also the wiring. I am just making a new centre section for my GT6 dash and will do as you have and modify the loom with multiplug connections.

Have you managed to sort the engine after its unfortunate head failure? Really looking forward to the big start up.

regards

Chris

Hi Chris, nice to hear from you. I think you will find the plug and socket arrangement will make removing the centre section of the dash very much easier and although it will take a bit of time, in my opinion well worth doing. I've done the same thing on the bonnet but have used a waterproof arrangement.

The replacement cylinder head should go on next weekend so if all goes well and the engine starts and runs properly I'll capture the moment on a bit of video.

I'm still working on the inner wings which should have been finished today but they fought back. Hopefully, will be done tomorrow. Apart from the interior to go in, there's just the door skins and the wheel spacers to make; a couple of weeks work after which we will be looking at getting an MOT and on the road.

Will keep you posted

John

The inner wings are now finished and the best that can be said about them is that they will do the job. There would not have been time to get the car to Tours had I made them double curvature so they had to be done in this way. But as soon as I can I'll build a buck and make some double curvature ones which I hope and believe will match the rest of the car and be pleasing to the eye.gallery_67_25_23726.jpggallery_67_25_6257.jpg

Today has been spent machining up some thin wheel spacers. This is to avoid having to shorten the wheel studs, necessary when using wire wheels. Keeping the studs standard will then enable the fitting of steel wheels whenever some serious driving is envisaged.

Next job is re-skinning the doors in aluminium and building them up.

Having been working five hours a day for the last nine months the pace is starting to tell so good that we are nearly finished; that's the car and me! :)

The inner wings that caused me so much grief may still have a sting in the tail. Looking at them today while I was talking to a visitor it struck me that there may not be sufficient clearance on bump. We'll soon find out.

I've taken a big chance fitting the transmission tunnel, carpet and H brace because pound to a penny something will happen where access is needed and they will all have to come out. The great thing about being a pessimist is that I can never be disappointed. All the carpets save the A post pieces are now fitted, and they are excellent; Newton Commercial moulded set.

The passenger door now has its new skin and is ready for building up. I'm using the Spitfire MK3 door handles which I like very much. I've decided not to struggle trying to fit the pin into the window winder handle which I'm going to modify into a screw on type.gallery_67_25_23714.jpggallery_67_25_46261.jpg

• Like 1

its looking great john, I hope the inners are ok. Love the smooth door look :)

I think I has asked this before but your going to paint it French blue aren't you?

Good luck the end is in sight

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

If you are okay with it I would like to use your design for the badge. Looking at the standard GT6 MK3 badge, it looks like the graphics are stuck to the chrome backing plate. So I could have your design made and stuck on in the same way and hey presto a really professional looking badge.

Yes the car is going to be French Blue; a colour I really like. As far as the inner wings are concerned I do have a contingency plan if the tyres foul them.

The replacement cylinder head should be delivered tomorrow and the plan is to fit it over the weekend and hopefully get the engine running. I'm quite excited about seeing the car out of the workshop moving under its own power.

I'll keep you posted.

regards

John

• Like 1

Absolutely fine with you using the design for the badge John. looking forward to seeing the finished car :-)

I guessed you liked the French blue as this will be your second car this colour won't it :-) 

good luck with the Engine, fingers and toes crossed it goes to plan.

Aaron  

Absolutely fine with you using the design for the badge John. looking forward to seeing the finished car :-)

I guessed you liked the French blue as this will be your second car this colour won't it :-) 

good luck with the Engine, fingers and toes crossed it goes to plan.

Aaron  

Thank you Aaron that's really kind of you. The head arrived this afternoon so going to plan so far. I've put the radiator back on the car and connected the oil cooler pipes ready for fitting the head tomorrow.

The interior is now finished and the final pieces to go in were the arm rest and knee pads re-covered with Park Lane kits which are absolutely excellent. The seats let the interior down but they will receive some more Park Lane kits when the car is being painted in July.

I've made a start putting the glass back in the doors which is a really fiddly job. Another triumph for the Triumph designers. They seemed to delight in making even the simple complicated. Where I can I have done a bit of re-engineering to make maintenance easier the latest being fitting the window winder handle with a screw rather than the nasty little pin that either goes in straight away or can take hours. Two second job now to fit the handle. :)gallery_67_25_2249.jpggallery_67_25_50620.jpg

• Like 2

The head is on and the engine runs. The carbs need setting up before it will tick over but actually running and keeping the coolant where it should be is a major step forward. I did drive it out of the workshop and it was nice to see it at a distance.gallery_67_25_79298.jpggallery_67_25_70872.jpggallery_67_25_105005.jpggallery_67_25_71260.jpggallery_67_25_51877.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Chaps; very kind of you. It really does need to be painted Aaron for two reasons really. One, my metal shaping skills leave a lot to be desired and the bodywork is full of small dents and flaws which have to be filled. And the other reason is that I want to be able to use the car in all weathers and to prevent the aluminium from corroding it has to be painted.

As predicted, the inner wings are far too low to I'm now thinking about either modifying what's there or making a MK2 version. I shall also have to think about covering the front of the wheels because even in the short drive down our lane the front valence picked up quite a bit of grit thrown off the wheels.

• Like 1

I think it will look cool in blue too.

Re: the number plate on the front, is this so you can get it MOT'd and then you will get it painted?  

I know this is not a final solution, but would a fibre glass inner wheel arch work or something like we have on modern cars, to give you the additional bit at the front of the wheel arch, it could be a bit naff, but might be a short cut..........     

Aaron

I think it will look cool in blue too.

Re: the number plate on the front, is this so you can get it MOT'd and then you will get it painted?  

I know this is not a final solution, but would a fibre glass inner wheel arch work or something like we have on modern cars, to give you the additional bit at the front of the wheel arch, it could be a bit naff, but might be a short cut..........     

Aaron

Yes the number plate will be removed prior to painting Aaron but if it is ready in time the car will be going to France in bare aluminium; also to the Show at Powderham just after we get back.

It took a bit of time but I carried out the definitive test on bodywork to tyre clearance today. This involved removing the damper, taking off the  spring and replacing the damper and road wheel. I then jacked up the wishbone as far as the bumpstop and turned the steering from lock to lock. We have clearance between the tyre and the wheel arches on the bonnet by just a quarter of an inch. That was a relief I can tell you. So all I have to do is to modify the inner wings. Thank you for your suggestion and along the same lines, I should be able to extend what I have to cover the front of the tyres which should do the trick.

The front Weber was faulty and has been returned to the supplier so to maintain the momentum, I'm planing to fit a pair of HS4s tomorrow. This should get the engine running nicely and ensure that we are ready for the MOT next week.

Today has been spent on building up the driver's door which has been a time consuming job. Holes were needed in the door skin to accommodate the lock and handle and I took a great deal of care to ensure they were the right size. It was a case of file a bit and check and then a bit more sneaking up on it until the fit was snug. I'm using the MK3 Spitfire handles and locks with MK1V latches and mechanisms. Surprisingly they are compatible. To my mind, the early handles are far nicer but that's just my opinion. I cannot believe how crude the locks and am amazed that they work at all.

Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Bloody Hell John, that looks fabulous. What an achievement - you have every right to feel very proud.

Steve C

Steve, the whole journey has developed into a white knuckle roller coaster ride totally because of the Tours deadline. I'm sure that without it all would be stress free. As it is, I'm totally mentally and physically exhausted; a situation that probably many of us who have been in a similar position will be able to relate to.

Yesterday, the drama continued. The faulty Weber was collected by Courier and  has now been returned to the supplier for rectification. The HS4s are fitted and thankfully, the engine runs nicely. It just would not switch off with the key. I'd made a basic wiring error which has now been rectified and we are marching on.

Sorry about the lack of the promised photos but I'll put some on later today.

John

As one who has worked a few all-nighters in his time, the only thing it has taught me is that self-imposed deadlines suck, and no car, or event, is worth sacrificing your health and sanity for. When you reach the spanner-throwing stage, close the garage door and walk away, rest, do something else and come back with fresh eyes. There is always another event out there to attend, and exhaustion is the point at which you start making silly mistakes.

The real reward in a project like yours is the admiration and respect you have earned from all of us who have followed this fascinating project. That will remain long after a missed deadline is forgotten.

Steve C

John

As one who has worked a few all-nighters in his time, the only thing it has taught me is that self-imposed deadlines suck, and no car, or event, is worth sacrificing your health and sanity for. When you reach the spanner-throwing stage, close the garage door and walk away, rest, do something else and come back with fresh eyes. There is always another event out there to attend, and exhaustion is the point at which you start making silly mistakes.

The real reward in a project like yours is the admiration and respect you have earned from all of us who have followed this fascinating project. That will remain long after a missed deadline is forgotten.

Steve C

Steve, you are absolutely right about self-imposed deadlines; completely and utterly ridiculous and that is exactly what i would say to anyone else. I know and understand that but I just cannot give up. Fortunately we are back on course.

With the dramas of the past week behind things are again moving smoothly. Both doors are fully built with Park Lane doorcards (absolutely excellent quality) and both close well with good shut lines.

I had to fit a choke cable for the SUs as a temporary measure until the Webers can go back on but this was the work of a few minutes. My stainless steel pipe work was a bit compromised by the fitting of the SUs but I think it still looks reasonably tidy.

The first picture shows the tyre to wheel arch clearance. gallery_67_25_36257.jpggallery_67_25_101512.jpggallery_67_25_11953.jpgThe last picture shows the screw on modification that i have made to the window winder handle.

• Like 1

With just one more inner wing to modify, we are just about ready for the MOT this coming Tuesday. There are still a few jobs to complete before the car is finished but these are largely cosmetic so barring any unpleasant surprises the big jobs are behind me. The engine runs rally nicely on the HS4s and it was a real pleasure to drive it out of the workshop in the sunshine down to our house.gallery_67_25_21108.jpggallery_67_25_859.jpg

• Like 1

My mechanic friend spent a bit of time today checking my work and aligning the wheels. I'd made no effort to track up the rear wheels and just wound out the tie rod to suit the distance between the clevises. Result was a massive toe-out of one inch! So, worth doing. I took the opportunity of having a look at the underside of the car while it was up on its lift. All appeared good with no apparent oil leaks.med_gallery_67_25_102934.jpggallery_67_25_111031.jpgmed_gallery_67_25_10993.jpggallery_67_25_39412.jpg