Gt6 mk3, coolant not returning..

Dave pb

Hello

I have a coolant problem in that the overflow bottle is getting filled up, but is not returning once the engine cool down.  I'm guessing first stop is the radiator cap (its been on since I bought the car 16 years ago), perhaps the seal is leaking.   Any other ideas?

Dave

====

Hi, can be a bit of a connundrum this! First is the actual overflow pipe in good condition, airtight including where it fits on the rad filler neck and always immersed in coolant in the overflow bottle? In use it should ALWAYS be full of liquid and a transparent pipe is useful for verifying this...

Youre right to think the cap top seal could be leaking but also Ive suffered with leaks elsewhere in the system. Typically hoses leak where they clamp onto fittings and dont seem to lose coolant but do allow air to be sucked in on cool down. As a last resort, with the system cold, you can connect a hand pump with gauge to the radiator overflow pipe and pressurise so that you can look for leaks and/or pressure drop.

i would go for a new cap  the upper cap seal is a pretty basic bit of card or rubber  its not very special 

also the filler neck any dents or distortion will not seat the seal 

you could cut a new seal from a cornflake packet to try before you buy 

do make sure the new cap is the correct depth to make sure the pressure seal locates on the inner filler  neck seating 

there are two depths of caps available 

Pete