The Last Herald

Gary Flinn

Bill Sanders in the driver's seat - he was director of Standard Triumph or something like that. 

Going by commission number records the last Herald should be GE83432CV if it's this convertible, but there was a later estate GE83433SC. Maybe it wasn't as iconic, to drive off the production line in front of the camera... :)

It's interesting that the last cars were convertibles and estates, ending in May (or September according to Langworth / Robson) 1971, but I've no details of the actual registration number.

• Like 1

With it being over 51 years ago I suppose there's not much chance of most of the people in the Photo still being alive?

I know the last 3 Vitesse's where all convertibles, presumably finished early May too, this letter gleaned off the internet is regarding the third from last one made.

Gary    

1971-triumph-vitesse-Letter.jpg

• Like 1

Colin

Yes I have read all 1971 Manufactured Triumphs had the BL Logo Badge fitted, I wonder if they had run out of the Cross flag badges, earlier 13/60's Convertibles certainly had them fitted?

No doubt this car would have had a Steering lock fitted too, as this became a legal requirement for any cars Manufactured in 1971. 

Gary

30 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The bonnet catch lever also looks white, or is that just the lighting?

Colin

It does look white, maybe it is masking tape that's not been removed?

I know the fixings screws for the Bonnet catches are painted body colour originally. 

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

PM317629.thumb.jpg.208fbfc97c3944ba50de75dcd1e1fadc.jpg

Just found the same photo! Interesting for two things: the BL badge by the bonnet lever, and the lack of crossed flags at the rear. I know the BL badge was added to the 13/60 in 1971 but not sure when they stoped adding the flags.

My 13/60 convertible has no crossed flags (or signs the holes have been filled or similar) and was built 1st/2nd Dec 69 according to the heritage cert. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

Colin

It does look white, maybe it is masking tape that's not been removed?

I know the fixings screws for the Bonnet catches are painted body colour originally. 

I’ve read somewhere that the bonnet catches were coated in a wax before fitting, painted over and then the wax and paint was scraped off. By the final Spitfires they’d stopped bothering with the scraping off part. Can’t remember the source of this though… But it would fit with the appearance of the photo.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2022 at 17:11, Josef said:

I’ve read somewhere that the bonnet catches were coated in a wax before fitting, painted over and then the wax and paint was scraped off. By the final Spitfires they’d stopped bothering with the scraping off part. Can’t remember the source of this though… But it would fit with the appearance of the photo.

It was a green plastic film that was easily pealed off after painting. We still have some NOS bonnet catches somewhere with it on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1