Adjustable spring pan dampers

I’ve bought new springs (uprated) and gaz height adjustable shocks for the front of my mk3 spitfire - all from the club shop.  I set the pans at the same length as my existing shocks but the ride height is too high (previously it was a bit low).  Anyway, which way do I screw the adjustable pans to lower ride height -  up or down?.  Can’t get my head around this and don’t want to get it wrong and have to take it all apart again!

Bob

8 hours ago, Bob Horner said:

I’ve bought new springs (uprated) and gaz height adjustable shocks for the front of my mk3 spitfire - all from the club shop.  I set the pans at the same length as my existing shocks but the ride height is too high (previously it was a bit low).  Anyway, which way do I screw the adjustable pans to lower ride height -  up or down?.  Can’t get my head around this and don’t want to get it wrong and have to take it all apart again!

Bob

You need to wind them down. With the same weight (ie the car) on the springs they compress to the same length, so a lower start point lowers the car.

The C spanners are sold at various places, I don't know if the club sell them. They do come in different sizes so be sure you get the ones for your gaz shocks. I believe ride heights to even corner wheel weight is normally done with about 80kg on the drivers seat. 

I have a spanner but you're in norf Yorkshire I'm in London. 

Iain 

4 hours ago, clive said:

You need to wind them down. With the same weight (ie the car) on the springs they compress to the same length, so a lower start point lowers the car.

Don't you need to wind them up, rather than down to reduce ride height (OP said too high)?  Winding up will compress the spring, making it shorter and so lowering the car.

4 minutes ago, Mjit said:

Don't you need to wind them up, rather than down to reduce ride height (OP said too high)?  Winding up will compress the spring, making it shorter and so lowering the car.

No, all you are doing is preloading the spring.

If the spring has a compressed (when fitted to the car and teh car is on the ground) length of 8", it will always be 8". The height of the spring top plate from the floor is therefore controlled by the height of the spring lower pan. 

You cannot relate the compressed/preloaded spring length when it doesn't have the weight of the car on it to the ride height. 

55 minutes ago, Bob Horner said:

Thanks chaps.  Glad it was not just me being confused.  I have some c spanners but not a lot of room to adjust on the car.

Bob

If you have spring compressors, jack teh front up and compress the spring, take the tension off the collars.