'slightly' leaking coolant pipe on cylinder head

Rich

Hello all,

In my mk1 vitesse the engine is a 2500 lump which has the coolant pipe connector on the back left of the engine. This is blocked off with a piece of coolant hose and bolt as its not required for the vitesse cooling system as it all runs well and doesn't over heat.

The metal connector has now begun to leak where it is screwed into the cylinder head,my question is shall I just leave it for now and not risk snapping it off and creating more problems (tried taking it off when engine was cold and it wouldn't budge) or getting the engine hot and having another go?

Hopefully someone has come across this before?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Not sure exactly what this joint is.

Would the use of a gas heat if no rubber seals etc part of it, (then spray with water) to crack the rust help. Undone many rusted fixings like this. Maybe have to try it a few times.

Also ptfe tape that plumbers use is good for sealing threaded joints.

Dave

I think heater outlet.

Try tapping the outlet vertically with a hammer, not hard, to shock the joints. Keep at it and keep repeating. Maybe some acid, even vinegar, around it too to help eat the rust. But as Pete says, a decent socket and ideally an impact wrench. These "hammer" the nut/bolt undone so are much less prone to shearing than just using a long bar and constant pressure. If no impact wrench, a long bar on the socket, apply a fair pressure and get somebody to hit the bar with a heavy (club) hammer pretty hard. That can do the trick on stubborn stuff.

the outlet can be replaced with a square headed plug.