Is this the doors or the bonnet that’s at fault?

Quack

I’d very much like to fix my door alignment. The doors rear side align perfectly to the back of the car’s chassis, but just not at the front, which leads me to believe that the bonnet is the problem here. Maybe it’s too far forward? Any tips on fixing this?

the doors also bend outwards a bit whereas the bonnet sucks in when it’s clipped in, making the gap more prominent

37654E00-B901-4089-8C62-79A148CDFA0B.png

2B0E7C52-F989-4F97-B561-D58BA3E84EBE.png

you can improve the taper by dropping the slotted  bonnet  links behind the overidders 

the tie rods will adjust the fore aft adjustment 

note on many cars the slotted links have been fitted upside down parts list is correct the slot at the top the bonnet pivots on the single hole 

some make longer links to aid more adjustment 

Pete

set the tie rods to give around a 10mm gap tot the screen surround equal each side 

set the cones to make it flush when nipped with the locks 

then adjust the  front height to give a parallel gap to the door 

theres not much else you can do 

if the bonnet wings are proud/underflush with the doors  you have to bend/jack the wing extensions

there is flush  adjustment of the hinge to door  and you can pack the hinge to baulkhead  but if B post is aligned  ...dont move them 

do one adjustment at a time   pause   look and review 

Pete

Try shimming the bonnet catches out on each side of the bulkhead - you'll have to make shims but that will hold the bottom of the wings outwards. 

As for rearwards movement, the main part to look at is the gap along the bulkhead under the windscreen - is there room for movement here? You can adjust the doors forwards if possible, but not that bit. If the bonnet will not go any further back you may find the wheelarches hitting the bulkhead; they can be bent inwards slightly at the rear to give up to an inch. There's a large seam on some that can also be ground down if necessary.

One other problem can be the bonnet brackets at the front tube; as they are tightened inwards they bend, and become shorter - you loosen them off, adjust the bonnet, tighten up, and the bonnet pulls forward again. One solution is to get longer brackets; I had sets made up last year for all of my cars.

The top corner of the bonnet, where the cones are, can be 'bulked' out - roll up an old towel, put it under the bonnet in that area over the vertical side brackets, and see if it sits out to the proper profile when closed and latched. If so, your bonnet top panel may be too high or too low in the centre and pulling the sides inwards (look at the area of the screenwashers); as with the tub spread, you may be able to keep the wing tops out if you pack underneath and leave for a time, so that the metal assumes the new shape, but you can bend beyond repair if you're too brutal.