Streering Clunk

I have a slight clunk in my steering when it is under stress either on a corner at speed or manoeuvring the car slowiy such as putting it in to ta parking space, It’s just one clunk so when reversing the action nothing happens. The steering is straight along with the wheel alignment and the steering wheel returns to its original position afterwards and shows no sign of miss-alignment. Steering is tight with immediate response from steering wheel to wheels

Do I have anything to worry about? , it has massed two MOT’s with this problem. Any ideas on what this might be?

Thanks

Aidan

think i would check for lift  between the upright and the front  trunion    you can get a clunk from these if worn,  often turning into a driveway etc.

some check with wheel on ground and jack the wishbone  look for shift , others jack up and pry bar all over the place . pry between the trunion and the brace across the wishbone end 

Pete

Thanks Pete - in what direction am I looking for movement? and what amount? or is any movement in that joints a problem?  If this is the issue do I need to do both sides? and which part number is the bush I need to replace?  I was going to do a suspension rebuild anyway this winter with standard blue polybushes so would they be in a standard set of front suspension replacement bushes?

Thx

Aidan

Looking for some small vertical lift or a bit of rocking,

if your doing a rebuild the trunion bushes will be in the kit, blue is fine

a std kit has hard nylon bushes , but the most

if doing poly fit the bushes in the trunion then insert the metal tube use the paste they supply not any grease

if the trunion is removed its favorit to change it anyway, they need a clean out, make sure theresno grease inside

look out for new old stock if you have the time to search

to check the trunion thread its best to remove the hub and disc back plate then when its in bits you can unscrew the trunion and check upright threads for corrosion and feel any lift or slop in the trunnion fit

I had a similar clonk from my steering but the car still passed the MOT like yours. Had the problem been the trunion or suspension or steering bush I think my MOT man would have spotted it and I hope yours too. My clonk turned out to be the wiring loom! It had come adrift and was resting on the steering column, when the column was turned "aggressively" the wiring loom slapped on the column giving a very accurate simulation noise of a steering/suspension clonk. Just a thought.