Wiper Rubbers (Only)

Colin

Hi Everyone.

I'm struggling to source 1970 Herald 1200 wiper blade rubbers.

They used to be readily available and are easy enough to refit, once split as they are prone to do.

It seems now one has to buy the stainless blades, pre-loaded with the rubbers. That's disingenuous, at best, profiteering at worst.

Can anyone propose a supply solution, please?

Best,

Colin.IMG-20210928-WA0021.thumb.jpg.8122304e67d39a7989d32abe4495af02.jpg

Thanks Gents,

I am wondering if you are buying the rubber only - or the rubbers in the stiff plastic backing which sits in the steel claws of the blades?

Because I was looking online for a profile match to my old rubbers that I have stripped out of the stiff plastic backing.

But I can be persuaded to buy some with a suitably sized backing strip!Β 

I still had the stainless steel strip that you slide the rubbers into, which I believe were originally fitted to the wipers. IΒ bought these Silicone rubber blades on Ebay. They come fitted in a plastic strip which is what I think you have Colin, but I slid them out and fitted them to my original fitting strips. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Richard

8 minutes ago, johny said:

These are what I used

That reminds me. Watch out because there are two standards for that plastic strip - 6.5mm wide and 8mm wide. If you slide the rubber blades out and use them on what you have then there's no problem. So far as I know the rubbers (well, silicones in my case) are identical. But if you intend to use the whole plastic cartridge and you've bought the wrong one then you're stuck! No prizes for guessing how I know that!

Cheers, Richard

I am also one of the many who just got silicone refills and cut them to size. They work better than the originals. One point is that I lift the wipers off the screen if the car is laid up for sometime otherwise mine appear to suffer from some sort of memory effect and retain the shape of the screen

52 minutes ago, Colin said:

Thanks Badwolf!

I note one of those previous link's products were in colours - red & blue. Sadly, not black . . .Β 

Worth watching!

There's at least 1 person on this forum who'll be most upset that they aren't available in yellow 🀫

Looking at mine the plastic stiffener was too thick to fit in the original metal holding arms so I didnt use it but instead threaded just the new rubber into the old stainless strip stiffener and reinstalled that...

11 minutes ago, Colin said:

Glad to have been the catalyst for the opportunity for the in-joke to be run out again! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ƒ

Colin - To conform to the standard in-joke requirements the phrase is "Please to be of service" (apologies, as ever, to the late Douglas Adams)!!!