Another funny noise 😒

cliff.b

Last few trips out I have noticed an intermittent noise that I can only describe as a "tinkling". Quite high pitched and sounds like something maybe loose, was guessing a suspension issue.

But today, I realised that it only occurs on a trailing throttle, at about 2000RPM & goes when I depress the clutch. Then tried holding the engine at that speed when stationary and could occasionally here it, but can't work out where it's coming from.

I know it's not a lot to go on but just wondering if anyone has any ideas 🤔

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

start with throw out squawking  and work towards clutch disc damper springs   

does a light touch to the clutch pedal reduce it ???  

and things like dynamo brackets loose can  make silly noises

Pete

I have only tried completely disengaging the clutch but if I put the car in neutral & released the clutch  while still moving, the noise was gone, but then the engine would be at tickover speed & it only does it at about 2000RPM.

Ahh, I have had a spot of luck. Driving it around I was getting the noise at 1800RPM in any gear. Sitting in the car stationary at 1800RPM I could hear it but not with the bonnet up. So set the engine ticking over at that speed and went all around it, decided it was coming from underneath and found the u bolt fixing the exhaust to the gearbox bracket is loose. Must have a resonant frequency that is hit at that engine speed. And with the bonnet up, all I could hear was the engine.

Oh well, have to get underneath it again I suppose 😒

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

but the nice easy jobs are much better for the wallet  

Pete

I will remember that when I am underneath it, cursing and looking for the spanner I need but can't find.

And then when I struggle to get up and go to the toolbox I can't find it in there either, because I was lying on top of it all along 😡

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

years ago it was a nice young lady   now its a 1/2" AF spanner    we are doomed    

Pete

A very old anecdote. A young lady comes home to see a pair of legs sticking out from under her husbands car. She leans down and gives him an affectionate 'personal' squeeze, which is immediately followed by a thump, curse and clatter. She walks into the kitchen to find her husband brewing up. "Did you see Pete" he asked, "he's just come around from next door to give me a hand with the car". Yes, a very old story and may even have a modicum of truth somewhere, but it amused me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mathew said:

Well done, why does a spanner go missing? You don't move from a spot but it disappears,  only to reappear after you go to get another one.

It is a mystery and certainly happens all the time to me, not just tools either.

There is a theory that it is because as men, we evolved as hunters and are constantly scouring the horizon for Mammoths, or such like, but not noticing what is right in front of us.

Ladies, on the other hand, are supposed to have been gatherers, carefully inspecting and collecting everything around them and being careful not to poison the children. I suspect this is why they like shopping so much 🤔 

5 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

It is a mystery and certainly happens all the time to me, not just tools either.

There is a theory that it is because as men, we evolved as hunters and are constantly scouring the horizon for Mammoths, or such like, but not noticing what is right in front of us.

Ladies, on the other hand, are supposed to have been gatherers, carefully inspecting and collecting everything around them and being careful not to poison the children. I suspect this is why they like shopping so much 🤔 

What size of spanner did you need for a mammoth?

I blame the elastic stuff that they put into concrete floors, so that when you drop a bolt - or indeed a spanner - it's several hundred feet away in seconds, so there's no point in looking for it close by.

21 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i tried lying under the car all morning and all i got was WET 

Pete

I have absolutely no intention of even thinking of any type of humerous response as Kevin or one of his moderator colleagues here would ban me!!!...you can make up your own jokes!!

Sun out so under car and exhaust bracket tightened. Also found next joint rearwards was leaking so sorted that out as well. Annoying tinkling noise now gone and exhaust (a bit) quieter.

Which means now I can hear another noise 😟. More like a squeak this time and I would guess suspension related. 

Just now, cliff.b said:

Am I being unrealistic striving for no unexpected noises, rattles, creaks etc 🤔

Yes. Touching on paranoia! My GT6 used to 'tinkle' when rolled back and forward, a light metallic jangling but no idea of what it was.

(My own Herald is suspiciously quiet at present, no squeaks, no rattles, no tinkling, what's wrong?)

You usually find that when the noises stop, something has dropped off.

46 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Yes. Touching on paranoia! My GT6 used to 'tinkle' when rolled back and forward, a light metallic jangling but no idea of what it was.

(My own Herald is suspiciously quiet at present, no squeaks, no rattles, no tinkling, what's wrong?)

You usually find that when the noises stop, something has dropped off.

It's not so much the noise as not knowing what's causing it.

When I first got the car it was making lots of different noises and as I worked on the car and found the causes it was usually due to something quite worrying. Loose nuts & bolts, missing nuts & bolts, things fitted incorrectly etc. So now if I hear something, I'm concerned that there's something I've missed. 

Maybe I should just drive faster so I can't hear anything 🤔

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

one more  .....disc pad chatter 

does the noise stop if you are light on the brakes ???

Pete

I've had that before and I could tell it was coming from the front wheel area. 

I can't pinpoint where this new noise is coming from at all and it is intermittent.

Doesn't seem to be road speed dependant, but I can't hear it when driving faster as it isn't loud enough. I will have to try coasting down a slope with the engine off, which may eliminate quite a few things if it is still happening.

My feeling though is a suspension noise of some sort. It doesn't sound like it's caused by something turning.

18 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i chased the shocker spindle for weeks until we did a jump on and bounce it 

with there's that squeak  

Pete

If it gets louder then I will probably find it. If it doesn't then I should probably ignore it 🙂

1 hour ago, cliff.b said:

It's not so much the noise as not knowing what's causing it.🤔

Yes, peace of mind is priceless! 

If anyone else asks, you already know. "It's only the intake filler hitting off the edge of the maximator as the eccentric cam comes round, nothing to worry about..."

• Haha 1