Herald Steel wheels and tyres

Tom

Hello, spending some time sprucing up my 1965 Herald convertible after getting it back on the road after 8 odd years. It is Cactus green with a red interior, the wheels are pretty untidy so I’m planning a refurb. Currently the wheels are badly painted in silver and have the aluminium trims in white fitted unfortunately the are not all the same, three are the lattice type and one is the type with larger holes in it. Not sure if I’m keen on them, I really like the simple look of the wheels without the trims in white with just the Chrome hub cap.

my questions are.

1. what shade of white should the wheels to do, is the a brilliant type white or more of an off white?

2. The tyres are pretty old and have sat around so really could do with replacing, any recommendations would be good.

thanks.

I had the wheels for my Spitfire refurbished by a local powder coating / stove enamelling company. They used a standard shade of white - very slightly creamy rather than a bright blue-white - which is fairly similar to Triumph White (paint code 19) and not as yellow as Old English (which my GT6 is painted in). I think the code 19 is close to the correct colour for the years when they painted the wheels white rather than dull silver.

• Like 1

If you want to do a quick tidy up job. Hammerite Smooth Cream is a good match for code 19. My car is code 19 with code 16 trim. Sadly, they don't do it in spray cans. I've used it to tidy my 'Scabs' and rubbed and polished out after six months. On a wheel behind trims you would not see brush marks. Depends how good you are with a brush anywhere else. I find using it on a cold day is best then tranferring it to the conservatory to cure, after the fumes have evaporated.

I happen to have a single narrow slot 3.5D wheel going spare if you might be interested in making your set up to four matching ones? Also possibly going to be coming in the direction of the midlands in the next few months. 

The white used on the wheels in 1965 is a very white white, not particularly creamy, although over 50-60years, it is likely any original paint will have yellowed a bit.

Note also the white wheels were often black or dark brown on the back, Triumph didn't always bother to paint the inner faces white, so they stayed in the base colour as supplied by Dunlop or Sankey.

Concerning tyres, if going crossply to keep the original overall diameter, the only option it Camac 5.20 x 13 for the 3.5in rims and 5.60 x 13 for 4.5" rims. They seem fairly well regarded.

I am not sure about 13" budget tyres, but the right shape and profile is needed. Low profile will spoil the ride and make the speedo read incorrectly, plus looks weird IMHO. Look for an 80 profile.
Many modern tyres have a flat tread with a square shoulder, which won't be good for the handling with swing axles, they need to be rounded to cope with the varying camber. 

Blockley Tyres make 145/80/13's classic tyres for a not unreasonable £75ea, or if you have a bigger budget go for classic 145/13 Pirelli Cinturato's £100ea or 155/13 Dunlop SP Sport Aquajet £145ea.

JJ

There were a few different 'Whites'. I have had 'Spa' and 'Sebring'. The Spa certainly went creamy, like my present car. I have applied the Hammerite Smooth Cream with a paint pad on a cold day. Just one swipe. Unfortunately, the pad backing dissolves in the paint so it's a throw away job. I used old pads.

My spare is an 'Evergreen' 165/80R13.

Fitted are 'Hyfly' 165/70R13. Found by my son in Berwickshire.

Drives fine and stops well. Never tested in the wet though. Maybe never will be.

Blame PO for the mis-matched spare

2 hours ago, Jon J 1250 said:

The white used on the wheels in 1965 is a very white white, not particularly creamy, although over 50-60years, it is likely any original paint will have yellowed a bit.

I painted a set in 'Triumph Road Wheel White' and they're a lot whiter than Triumph 19, which is the colour of Herald they're going on. For a good match of aged wheels like Wagger I use Hammerite, but Hammerite Magnolia, which has that yellowed creamy tint and doesn't look just as new.

D23BB1A7-542F-40B5-B638-499DCB6D580B_heic.jpg.c22de001a239a724946680be2a75c314.jpg  9B463863-C6BE-4847-9335-23555AD4679D_heic.jpg.ef7ea7746231f0fb7c98c1fe88cfe56f.jpg

Never really considered, painting the 13/60 wheels white. I just assumed they came siver, as mine are,? I do have a redundant half tin of White Boat Enamel, from the Dinghy Sailing days?. Mind it must be 30 years Old!. In any case I fancy period alloys ultimately.

Pete