Dashboard Indicator warning light.

Wagger

I know that there are previous post about this, but they have all drifted off topic.

I have just replace the green insert and lamp with an aftermarket device without removing the dashboard. (and steering column). The last owner had ruined the green section so that it could not be seen in daylight, and my hearing cannot detect the flasher clicks.

This is how, if anybody wants to know.

Disconnect the battery. In case you short something behind the dash.

I drilled out the green bit by using a hand wound brace, increasing the drill size until I could remove the remains and push the rest back through the hole.

The unit then dropped down just visible beside the steering column.

I cut the leads so the unit can be repaired and re-used.

Stripped the tails and added crimps. Then fed two wires through the dash hole, stripped and crimped to the existing wires.

Pulled them up through the dash hole and attached the new part to these with crimps.

The new unit required a 1/4 inch hole, so I just bound tape around it until it stayed put.

I know that the screw in inserts are available now, so will repair the original unit and fit if I ever take the dash out.

The parts used were from Amazon. Five different colours for £18 including postage. See below.

These are not polarity sensitive either and do not require the old bulb connected.

Bkinsety 5pcs 12V LED Indicator Light 6mm 1/4" Waterproof Metal Signal Light for Pilot Dash Car Truck Boat
Sold by chaotongkeji

• Like 1

My indicator failed to self cancel (same side) on three occasions last weekend, the Triumph behind reminded me each time... so I'm intending to splice an audible buzzer into the circuit.

I just need to find one that's vaguely pleasant, maybe a nice tuneful ding-dong, and not irritating.

Just now, Colin Lindsay said:

My indicator failed to self cancel (same side) on three occasions last weekend, the Triumph behind reminded me each time... so I'm intending to splice an audible buzzer into the circuit.

I just need to find one that's vaguely pleasant, maybe a nice tuneful ding-dong, and not irritating.

Not like the reversing warning on our mobility scooter. Or the 'Gong' that my wife ignores when the low fuel light comes on.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've thought about fitting one but don't want to scare the life out of anybody nearby when it is in use, just loud enough to be heard above the other background noises, birds twittering, rivers running, bits dropping of the Triumph . . .

6 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I've thought about fitting one but don't want to scare the life out of anybody nearby when it is in use, just loud enough to be heard above the other background noises, birds twittering, rivers running, bits dropping of the Triumph . . .

How about something in the seat that vibrates 🤔

2 hours ago, cliff.b said:

How about something in the seat that vibrates 🤔

You could get a massage chair like Doug & Pete and modify it to fit the car, but as Wagger says.....

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

Now, that could be a tad too enjoyable.