Laying the car up for winter

Rockape

6 hours ago, Firefly said:

Were  the tyres made in China ? 😛😀

Yes, look at the emoji`s.............it was sail `tongue in cheek`. 

It`s been like that forever. Pre-war? Jerry Built. Post war? Jap Crap. More recently Taiwan and Now China, are getting brunt of it.

The real issue, is likely the sourcing of material. Eg; back a few years, well 20 or more now. it was the Russian Steel. Alleged High scrap content. The Jap; steel suffered the same. Which was allegedly the reason why early Imports of Toyota`s for example, rotted out in just a few years. We had had Fiats, and other Italian Cars. What everyone "Forgot" was the British cars rotted just as quick.

The rubber composition in tyres, can be (are?)  "tweeked" for the target sales area. "grey imports" can be therefore "wrong" for Europe, if fabricated for (say) South  America. Sadly underlying it all will be the "bottom Line".

Pete

On 01/11/2022 at 21:15, Peter Truman said:

Colin how old was the concrete when you left the car standing

Years old, Peter, flaking and dampish. It just pulled the top 1mm or so off the marks of which stayed in the tyre treads for ages...

On 02/11/2022 at 18:53, PeteH said:

What everyone "Forgot" was the British cars rotted just as quick.

We didn't forget; it's just that the Far-Eastern cars promised so much, we all bought into the modern space-age dream, and then they let us down again. Usually much more cheaply, though.

On 05/11/2022 at 11:31, Colin Lindsay said:

Usually much more cheaply, though

Reminds me of Honda bikes, cheap to buy back in the day, and generally more reliable, but a new say? Exhaust was an arm and both legs.

pete

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/11/2022 at 14:56, PeteH said:

Reminds me of Honda bikes, cheap to buy back in the day, and generally more reliable, but a new say? Exhaust was an arm and both legs.

pete

Sounded good though with British megaphone exhausts fitted instead and revving to 10,000 RPM 👍

Put mine up on 4 wheel dollies which have curved profile to keep tires in shape. Gives me a chance to move car about in the garage . Although at the moment it's up on axle stands with the gearbox out so it will probably stay like that for a couple of months.

Danny