FleaBay gearbox checks

haggis

Hi all, so I've only gone and done it and bought a gearbox with D type overdrive for my GT6 on eBay.  now I've read all the stuff about checking the overdrive solenoid etc for the overdrive unit but can't find any info on physically checking the gearbox, are there any checks that I do to check the gearbox without it being fitted in the car?

I dread the idea of fitting it along with the engine going a mile up the road and having to return home & removing it immediately. I guess the simple answer is just to take it to Mike Papworth (there are other gearbox people out there but none as good in my opinion), but there must be some way to check it prior to this inevitable journey.

Its a late 3 rail gearbox for a vitesse, with oil in! (Which I thought was a good sign)

You never know it might be perfect, but hold on I did buy it off the dreaded Fleabay.

thanks

Hag.

Unless you strip it, there are things you just can't see or feel. Layshaft pin wear being the obvious and likeliest candidate.

However, a few basic checks then getting the box in the car and testing before refitting trim etc has been my chosen approach. Along with teh crossing of fingers!

I bought a single rail o/d box for my Herald from the bay a couple of years ago from someone in Devon,£100 with the gearstick etc.its been perfect since even completing the 2014 Round Britain run with CT.All i did was put fresh oil in it.

You might be lucky

Steve