Overhauling my O/D gearbox (GT6+)

DanielH

Can you use one old and one new thrust washer? (I don’t know the spec but I assume you’re asking cause it should be a bit tighter?)

My needle roller set bought six months to a year back was also missing two rollers… They came in separate packets so guess someone can’t count.

Measure the thickness of the old rollers with a micrometer and pick out the two biggest ones (you can compare their size with the new ones)...

I dont like the look of either of the old thrust washers as they have done quite a few kilometers so think it best to take some metal off the back of the bigger of the new ones. This shouldnt be too difficult as the steel is soft and you can use a piece of emery cloth (abrasive sheet) held on a flat surface and carefully rub the thrust washer on it. Measure its thickness all the way round to make sure youre doing it evenly and obviously stop when youve reached the correct size - measure the gap from laygear to case with feeler gauges to calculate this👍

I know I'm harping back to the Syncro Rings & apologize for hijacking the current thread, but I have 2 new old supply PN 148409 rings I believe Stanpart as they are inbossed with the number, the internal machining is very sharp as expected with machined brass. Unfortunately one has some damage looks like something has eaten into the rings at 6 o'clock. Question do the brainstrust/members think it's serviceable pic attached, .1070884911_SyncroRing148409damage.JPG.883a168ad770a67279140127e8a4cf9a.JPG  

well I suppose the proof is in how well it 'bites' onto a cone so you could try that manually but Id be surprised if it wasnt perfectly useable.

Also just noticed that the damage is on the part of the ring that will come into use very late on, if ever, in its life as its on the trailing edge of the grooves so another reason for it being nothing to worry about👍

• Thanks 1

I measured the endfloat of the 2nd and 3rd gear on their bushes.

Thats the third, isn't it?

image.png.6224f63b1e2f6e58ea8f9231d1253206.png

LHS I have 0.01mm, RHS: 0mm. The ruler appears to hang somehow.

In any case: there is not endfloat 😞

image.thumb.png.fbfd9e66b5dcc1a762ff3dbf05455fae.png

The second?

image.png.4a8c63f324e65a9f2bf035b270019e25.png

No endfloat at all here 😞

image.png.98dac735a0e1ba6a0cf63127de5df456.png

I've checked that bushes flush with the lower shoulder of the gear, supported by a few coins.

What the heck??

Yes looks like one has some pitting but ok. There will always be wear marks on the face of the gear even if the bush is longer as the gear is free to slide along up against the thrust washer. However dont forget we are talking about when the gear isnt in use and just spinning with no load - when selected it becomes locked to the output shaft to transmit the drive and the bush is no longer in use (well apart from absorbing radial thrust)...

I use the scrolled washer that fits on the end of the mainshaft closest to the input shaft. Sit that on top of a socket and put the gear and bush on top of that. A coin does not have a flat surface so you may be introducing error there. 

And of course your bushes may be worn. The box I rebuilt that I would judge as having had very high mileage by the state of some of the gears needed new 2nd/3rd bushings as the end float was too low. I think I might’ve had Mick Dolphin’s last NOS ones though I’m afraid!

Evening all 🙂

I've retrieved the bushes from the original non-OD box, the lengths of them distributes from 0.999in to 1.001in. I've checked the end floats of the gears with the longer bushes and, voilà, it is now excatly 0.05mm (0.002in). YAY 😉

Overall endfloat on the main shaft is in spec: 0.15mm

image.thumb.png.fe274de5c7502bd7951ccda6dd864dd8.png

• Like 2

your reverse idler is still on its side  

you have to fit the input shaft then lift the cluster 

next time fit the string into the box  overlap the case sides  drop the cluster in on top of the string  

a lot easier than fiddling it round to lift the cluster when everything is in place 

Pete

• Thanks 1