Overhauling my O/D gearbox (GT6+)

DanielH

Good evening everybody,

I have started working on my GT6+'s gearbox and OD. I thought it would be a good idea to post my progress here and to somehow involve you in my enterprise...

It's the second gearbox which I am restoring. The XJ6 gearbox I did 15 years ago is still working and silent 😉

I've bought the GT6 gearbox from a Frenchman last year, it has the serial # KE1954 and comes with a D-Type overdrive.

Thanks for your input 🙂

Greetings from Germany

Daniel

The box is gutted, I have the repair kit from R1mmers, and the parts are on my desk.

My first question evolves around the synchro rings. The repair kit comes with 4 repro rings. 

A couple of things strike me when I compare the old ones with the repros:

friction surface:

OLD:

image.png.08f00369036f2b58efc90286b863b2b6.png

Repro:

image.png.286ba399b1a0764a7db6e8061e1b35d3.png

The friction surface looks different, right? The repro groove patterns appear shallower.

The locking keys also look slightly different: left REPRO(!), right OLD

image.png.b812b2dd0138788f966f582a52f0aa46.png

They appear bolder on the OLD part.

Would you exchange this old ring with the repro ring?

I guess I have to check the other old rings for wear.

Thanks 🙂

The clearance between the ring and the mating part is ca. 0,029in (ca. 0,75mm). The workshop manual doesn't contain info about hwo to check the rings for wear, doesn't it? 

image.png.6a5929449a5034611ce69391ef9df9f3.png

The repro rings don't slide over 😞 That's pretty miserable...

image.png.1b19492c8dd6463e81c452d26e6391f4.png

This ring is shot: no gap at all!

image.png.ad403849f1221097944082e88a058451.png

The other 2 rings have a 0,03in+ gap. The grooves feel also quite sharp.

Fortunately I've still got the original (non-OD) gearbox of the car, I guess I will pick one or two good rings from it.

What do you say?

One thing, the three rail gearbox used two different designs of synchro ring during its life. The early ones are part number 148409 and they have a smaller internal diameter than the later synchros 150328 so are not interchangeable. Your car would have used the early type while the later Mk3 GT6 (KE serial number gearboxes) had the bigger ones which would explain why the new rings you have wont fit on the cones... 

23 minutes ago, DanielH said:

This ring is shot: no gap at all!

image.png.ad403849f1221097944082e88a058451.png

The other 2 rings have a 0,03in+ gap. The grooves feel also quite sharp.

Fortunately I've still got the original (non-OD) gearbox of the car, I guess I will pick one or two good rings from it.

What do you say?

The wise gearbox builders often use good secondhand synchros. And swap them about, first and second, and 3rd and 4th. You can use some fine abrasive to remove the shine from cone surface and then feel teh synchros to see which works best on each cone. 

Well you cannot be 100% sure because gearboxes have been modified over the years (the later bigger synchro rings last longer and work better then the originals) but yes youre right the KD should have the smaller rings the same as in the kit.

The rings are common to various Triumph (and other makes) models with the small ones being used in all Heralds, Spitfire 1, 2, 3, Vitesse 1 & 2 and GT6 1, 2, 2+ while the larger were in GT6 III, Spitfire IV & 1500 (single rail) plus other models.... 

The testing Clive mentions is to put the ring on a gear and try and turn it. Push the ring harder against the gear and feel how much pressure is required before it becomes hard / impossible to turn. If you have a really worn one it will still move even if you’re pushing it against the gear as hard as you can. 

9 hours ago, johny said:

The rings are common to various Triumph (and other makes) models with the small ones being used in all Heralds, Spitfire 1, 2, 3, Vitesse 1 & 2 and GT6 1, 2, 2+ while the larger were in GT6 III, Spitfire IV & 1500 (single rail) plus other models.... 

The good news is that all the other components in your overhaul kit should be good for the later gearbox👍 

the repro baullk rings look pretty awfull  are they even going to be round  , many were made in a lathe chuck and they are lobed where the jaws comressed them

one very important part of synchro mesh is the accurate and well definde tooth chamfer on the ring the gear dog teeth and the sleeve

these chamfer's side flanks are what keeps the ring in "rock over" till rotational loads synchronise 

any worn or chimmbled teeth will allow a crash as you change gear as the ring will let go thro' the change 

attached i a Rootes explaination which is the best i can find 

syncho and howi.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DanielH said:

Hi there, I have ordered another (repro?) ring from a different supplier here in Germany, since the other three of my rings appear in good shape.

NOS is unobtainable, isn't it?

I wouldn't say NOS is unobtainable, but unfortunately your best bet is to watch British eBay for several months, they come up every now and again. They really shouldn't be that rare when you consider the same parts were fitted to lots of relatively common cars (Midget 1500, Ital, Marina as well as Triumph models).

I think used is your best bet if the repro ring turns out bad, but ideally you need to try a few and select the best as others mentioned earlier. In my experience 1st and 2nd wear most, 3rd and 4th not so much. Canley Classics in the UK sell used rings for a fair price - https://canleyclassics.com/?diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-constant-pinion-countershaft-and-reverse-shaft-gears&ptno=150328R

• Like 1

i paid a premium withRB for supposed high quality german baulk rings for the 2000 box rebuild and they are not that special  quite poor really 

and not on the quality  , next year i wil likely refit the old ones if i get the inspiration to drag the box off , its not the best car for a quick box swap round 

as they need a heck of a drop to get at the top C hsg bolts with a lot of extn on the socket 

Pete

23 hours ago, johny said:

The good news is that all the other components in your overhaul kit should be good for the later gearbox👍 

One thing to watch, Mk3 GT6 gearbox has a different gearset to Mk2. Gear angles are different.

Dolomite 1850 3-rail is same gearset as Mk3 GT6.

• Like 1

should be 25 rollers each side.

New thrusts look ok although looks like the design is slightly different for the smaller one but the part that takes the load is the same size👍

The manual says to set the laygear end float by selecting the correct thrust washers to give between 0.178 and 0.330 mm clearance. If your outside of this you could remove metal from the back of a washer or if loose make a shim.... 

• Like 1

ok, I am going to correct the rollers, I have to take one from the old set, since I've already used up all new rollers.. 😞 well

The end float:

Both new thrusts are too thick, cannot get them in.

End float with both old thrusts is ca 0,01377in (0,35mm).

Shall I keep the old ones, or adjust the new ones?

What is your advise here?